Umm, gearboxes...

Jack

Question

I may be stupid but...

I am asking this for a friend of mine who is slightly a bit dim :whistle:

But could some explain/write a 'how this works' explaintion of the mechanics of a gearbox........in extra laymans terms please.

So I can pass it on to my chum - *cough cough*

Many thanks.

Jack.

Often wonder these days how long it would take to get back into the hang of going up and down a Militants box after not having sat in one for 30 years....

I shouldn't think it would take that long. If we're ever at a show together I suppose I could be persuaded to give up the keys to the old girl ;-).

I will always remember when I first got the Militant and I couldn't change gear at all. It didn't matter what I did I just couldn't get a gear without loads of crunching. Then a mate of mine who has been driving HGV's for years jumped in it. He pulled away and went 1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 1 without even a hint of a crunch. It was quite annoying, but it did prove that the gearbox was ( and still is ) fine.

:-) Richard

45 mph in a Militant!!!!!! :schocked:

I think maybe Richard has put his finger on it when saying you might be trying to change up too early. Sounds crazy but I found - again with Mk 1 Militants - that you needed to hold the road speed for a minute (-ish) after reaching it before trying the up-shift. And the clutch movement is a rapid down-up, gear out, down-up, gear in action going up.

Oh - and have the hand on the gear lever before touching the clutch; again as Richard rightly says - too long and the synchronised speed of the components is lost!!!

Often wonder these days how long it would take to get back into the hang of going up and down a Militants box after not having sat in one for 30 years....

I took her out for another quick spin this weekend, and followed your advice. After a few minutes I was changing sweetly up through the gears and yes 4th and 5th do work! :-D Coming back down again was a it more tricky though! :whistle:

The only problem was on the way back I think something clogged the fuel jet and she lost power and stopped. :cry: I caused a pretty impressive series of traffic jams until I managed to limp her onto a side street over the course of an hour. :oops: So it looks like my next post will be about carburettors :dunno: and the one on my GMC is french :roll:

Glad to hear you are getting the hang of it, because Fifth gear is an overdrive and close in ratio to fourth the change down needs to be done quickly with only a slight blip on the throttle, the other down changes are done a little slower but you still have to be fairly quick if climbing a steep hill,especially loaded.