Type of steel for wheel nuts

tim gray

BS. 970 En5. (30 carbon)

P condition @ 35 tonf/in2 is sufficient

---

or near equiv. such as 6A

Cheers Ruxy,

Can i have that in english please:D Sorry mate could not resist, got the first bit, but P condition 35....etc ?

Regards

Tim the dunce

You need something that is "free-cutting" for machining relatively easy without tearing. Not something too cooking such as Leadloy that is basically a En2 (low carbon).

Such as En6 or 6A - the maximum carbon is 0.4% (into "Medium carbon steel range".

En5 is supplied in normalized,or hardened & tempered (you need to avoid post heat-treatment).

The property letter basically indicates the strength (derived from heat treatment).

IIRC - starts at M , but lowest commercial is probably P

going, Q. R. S. T. U. V. W. X. Y. Z

Z = 100 tonf / in2

For a wheel lug nut that is deep - then P is more than adequate , the threads will be quite tough , the case will be tough to prevent spannering / socket marks , you don't want anything with hardness as there would be a danger of shear at the thread roots.

I have been out of all of this a few years now, at the end of the day - you will have to see what is available in hex. stock bar to greatly reduce machining costs, a good steel stockist should have comparison tables as you could find the same stuff under other ref.

Edited by ruxy
speling

You need something that is "free-cutting" for machining relatively easy without tearing. Not something too cooking such as Leadloy that is basically a En2 (low carbon).

Such as En6 or 6A - the maximum carbon is 0.4% (into "Medium carbon steel range".

En5 is supplied in normalized,or hardened & tempered (you need to avoid post heat-treatment).

The property letter basically indicates the strength (derived from heat treatment).

IIRC - starts at M , but lowest commercial is probably P

going, Q. R. S. T. U. V. W. X. Y. Z

Z = 100 tonf / in2

For a wheel lug nut that is deep - then P is more than adequate , the threads will be quite tough , the case will be tough to prevent spannering / socket marks , you don't want anything with hardness as there would be a danger of shear at the thread roots.

I have been out of all of this a few years now, at the end of the day - you will have to see what is available in hex. stock bar to greatly reduce machining costs, a good steel stockist should have comparison tables as you could find the same stuff under other ref.

Cheers Ruxy,

Good good write up and got it now. Appreciate the comments re Hex bar but unfortunatley the flats on the nuts are actually inside the curcumference of the seat and taper. Got some other bits being made up so i am yet to get a unit price, if it makes it better i may get a few extras made up. Cheers for the valued info.

Tim