Help stuck clutch

paulob1

Okay I have tried all the tricks I know, anyone got any ideas what to do with my totally stuck clutch on the stolly.

tried driving with clutch peddle down, gone up very steep hill with clutch peddle down, towed it at speed with clutch peddle down, rocked it back and forth, she is stuck solid...

any ideas...

Have heard of parking up against something solid and immobile,first gear, loads of revs,pump clutch,that however was with cars/vans, not sure how solid and immobile you'd need for a stolly.

Remember you have a twin plate clutch and they tend to be harder to free off, hence why a catch is provided to keep the pedal depressed while out of use. Any water in the hull will get into the clutch too, if it has been standing outside. Probably end up with taking the engine out, as trying to free it otherwise, may end up with ripping the centres out of the plates.

Remember you have a twin plate clutch and they tend to be harder to free off, hence why a catch is provided to keep the pedal depressed while out of use. Any water in the hull will get into the clutch too, if it has been standing outside. Probably end up with taking the engine out, as trying to free it otherwise, may end up with ripping the centres out of the plates.

thanks richard just add to the pain...the boys forgot to lock the clutch pedal down and yes it filled with water because a temporary bung had been fitted and not released...we have one last play to try...

thanks richard just add to the pain...the boys forgot to lock the clutch pedal down and yes it filled with water because a temporary bung had been fitted and not released...we have one last play to try...

Sorry Paul :embarrassed: .... but now you say that the bung was in, makes it worse, because the flywheel / clutch is not many inches off the floor, does not need a lot of rain before you end up with a lot of water in there. Seen it before .. and had to deal with it.

Sorry Paul :embarrassed: .... but now you say that the bung was in, makes it worse, because the flywheel / clutch is not many inches off the floor, does not need a lot of rain before you end up with a lot of water in there. Seen it before .. and had to deal with it.

As a total cock up short term attempt to free of the plates, feed them with a good penetrating fluid for a few days and try again.

I totally distance my self from the last comment as it is the worst suggestion/cock up.

A big boy told me this and ran away. , Miss.

As a total cock up short term attempt to free of the plates, feed them with a good penetrating fluid for a few days and try again.

I totally distance my self from the last comment as it is the worst suggestion/cock up.

Probably this comment falls in the same category as yours, sir, but here goes. Soaking the rusted parts with ordinary Coke (Coca Cola), could be the answer. The acid in the coke, although mild, is the bane for the rust. I once tried it in an old carb and it did very well. If it doesn't work, it didn't break the bank and we can laugh about it.

Edited by montie
spelling!

Paul,

As a matter of interest to you, there was a mod done to Stalwarts while in service, to reduce sticking plates, this was to fit paddle clutch plates which are lined with a ceramic material and therefore should not absorb moisture as normal friction material does. I have fitted them in the past and never heard of any problems with them.

Wasn't there a chemical used in fire extinguishers that could remove oil from clutch plates?

Assuming the clutch plates aren't permanently knackered, if you could use some of that you could be up and running again without removing the clutch.

Wasn't there a chemical used in fire extinguishers that could remove oil from clutch plates?

Assuming the clutch plates aren't permanently knackered, if you could use some of that you could be up and running again without removing the clutch.

Yup BCF biff extinguishers. You know the ones you biff the head to set going.