morris commercial

chris b

does anybody know of or have access to despatch records or similar for a morris C8/GS ? we've picked up a rough one, v5 states its 1939 but its 4x4, 4 cyl, with steel gs body. i reckon that makes it late war ? and any guide to vehicle census numbers ?

thanks, chris b

no written records exist anymore for wartime Morris production

as stated, a GS cannot be earlier than late 1944. The build date is (in theory) stamped into the chassis by the rear spring hanger, I have yet to find mine.

if you are lucky (like i was), there will be a post war data plate on the chassis, just rear of the LH fuel tank. This will quote a 6 digit post war vehicle registration no, eg xx YT xx. Using that, the RLC museum may be able to produce the cast records which should list only 3 things , the date and location it was cast and ... the wartime census number, Z5812059

thanks guys..

i've had a good snurgle round and we've ripped the body off. boy is it rotten !

found two data plates. big one near the fuel tank says;

42 rg 32

rebuilt 10/51

base OH 155 B385

the one on the body says; body 15cwt gs no5 mk 5

mcccnt no.23/6450 ser 2242

the next question is, where can i get either a replacement rear body, or floor panels ?

ta, chris

the next question is, where can i get either a replacement rear body, or floor panels ?

Hi Chris,

Depending upon what is usable the only way to make a decent job of a GS body is to get 4 1/4" T and G planks cut so that it will all line up and look right when it's done. You can spot bodys a mile off that have been made up with 6" floor boards, once you start looking. I've done several and the drawings Rick's talking about (hi Rick) are from an Oz website and are pretty good to use as plans. However, keep all the fittings and clean them up/sandblast them and build off the floor frame. My MW resto is on here somewhere and there's several pix of the GS body i restored/rebuilt. i've done my 37 Morris and now building a WT body, so it can be done!

hope this helps

Simon

the military 15cwt rear body was a standard design mated to any manufacturer's 15cwt chassis. The wooden one referred to will be the same as that on any non Morris 15cwt EXCEPT it is 6 inches wider.

Sadly the website with the wooden plans no longer exists as it died when that ISP stopped providing free website content, the aussie who ran it (and who is I think a member on here) may still have them, otherwise as said ask Dawnpatrol

BUT

remember there is also a metal rear body. I have not seen plans for this but do not assume it must have a wooden body - the metal one is equally "correct", unless of course your own vehicle already has wood...

thanks guys, however ours has the steel body.

the sides have lost the bottom 6 ", and the floor is like tissue...i think its supposed to be twin skin, with the lower skin box corrugated.

anyone know if the steel is available to match ?

also,,,seat covers and squabs ?

Chris

My C8 had a steel back body, i had it all repaired, and new 'tophat' sections welded underneith, a real fiddle, but it looked right.

Rick had my other C8 to rebuild with a complete but poor steel body, he was going to build a wooden one, but then sold the project on.

the chap that bought it kept the wooden body, so what he did with the steel one i don't know ? but would help you out.

there was an article in Classic Military Vehicle about him and his C8 finished in Bomb Disposal colours.

I'm sure i still have a good pattern for the rear metal wheel arches if you need it.

Cheers

Jules