Scorpion into service

challenger

Have put the Scorpion at Bovington on another thread but then I found some of my old stuff and noticed we had been using two vehicles before the Bovington one in the early seventies. Compare 02 FD 48 to the one at Bovington and quite a bit has changed. Wading screen removed, stowage all changed and headlights changed to an older style. 48 and 49 have no II sight fitted as they weren't available when the vehicles were issued. A piece of tin with zero ballistic capability was put over the hole were the sight and cowl were to go. We stowed sleeping bags in the space in the turret. The pictures were taken on Soltau training area. The vehicles are fitted with SimFire so we could act as an agile target for the Swedish S Tank that was being trialed by, I think, 1 RTR.

Scorpion02.jpg

IMG_5220a.jpg

Scorpion01.jpg

Great pics thanks for posting..

Coincidentally a wading screen is for sale on ebay at the moment - don't see that very often - did you ever use them in anger.?

I would imagine the S tank had a bit of trouble trying to target two Scorpions scampering about...or am I wrong..!

I think the Scorp looks a lot nicer without the front bins that were later fitted.

Actually the S Tank managed quite well. It was being compared to a Chieftain which of course was a little faster at getting onto target. Once the S Tank was there it could track quite well. As for the floatation screen, yes we used them a couple of times in Germany, as I remember the vehicle became quite uncontrollable when in the water. Also used them when in Bovington but that was in a dip tank on Gallows hill.

There is some info here, the simulation equipment he is talking about is SimFire that was fitted to all vehicles thattook part in the shooting bit. I will dig through my photos to see what I've got. Might be a lengthy process.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?27474-Foreign-test-off-the-S-Tank-(picture-and-movie)

S Tank03aM.jpg

The Chieftain, a friend tells me, is now in bits on Castlemartin ranges.

S Tank02aM.jpg

S Tank02Ma.jpg

S Tank01M.jpg

Edited by challenger