Aec

FEC

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi FEC,

This is a very good point!

I had on many occasions wondered the same. However, now that you have brought it up, there is an answer and don't give me any accolades for knowing it.

No, it is the 'bible' of our passion which provides, I hope, the answer.

Bart Vanderveen, Observers Military vehicle directory from 1945 , which I just happen to have in my back pocket, tells us (under the picture of the FV11018 Militant Mark 1, page 198) that there was only a prototype of a mark 2 and it was an FV11041 M/H Anti Aircraft tractor which appeared in 1962.

Mystery solved unless anyone else knows better!

Regards,

Mike.

Hi FEC,

This is a very good point!

I had on many occasions wondered the same. However, now that you have brought it up, there is an answer and don't give me any accolades for knowing it.

No, it is the 'bible' of our passion which provides, I hope, the answer.

Bart Vanderveen, Observers Military vehicle directory from 1945 , which I just happen to have in my back pocket, tells us (under the picture of the FV11018 Militant Mark 1, page 198) that there was only a prototype of a mark 2 and it was an FV11041 M/H Anti Aircraft tractor which appeared in 1962.

Mystery solved unless anyone else knows better!

Regards,

Mike.

Pat Ware suggests there were 10 prototype FV11041 artillery tractors of which some remained in service during the 1960s.

I am very impressed that Bart could forsee 17 years in to the future:cool2:

Pat Ware suggests there were 10 prototype FV11041 artillery tractors of which some remained in service during the 1960s.

I am very impressed that Bart could forsee 17 years in to the future:cool2:

Take your choice then but I know which one I believe:D

This looks like a Mk2, I saw one in a book years ago but can't remember which one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aecsouthall/6142029466/

Found this text accompanying pictures of the same vehicle on trucksplanet.com

In 1962 a few prototypes of the second generation Militant models were made. There were 6x6 trucks with a 6-cylinder multifuel diesel engine AV690 (11,3 l, 192 hp) and a short all-metal Park Royal cabin with a convex front mask. There was no serial production of MkII. The Militant MkI was replaced in a serial production by MkIII in 1966.