Cckw oils

warrior

This has been discussed on a number of previous occasions and is in part being discussed in a current thread. General consensus of opinion is straight 30 grade in the engine and straight 90 (not EP) in the transmission but there are other opinions particularly from one of our transatlantic cousins who holds rather strong views. Both myself and a lot of others on here would recommend the relevant Morris products.

HI ALL

Nearly ready for road testing my gmc project, i need to change engine and gearbox oils, what oil and grade do you chaps

recommend? morris oils seem popular.

Cheers Warrior:cheesy:

Hi Warrior

Here in the UK Comma do a range of oils which are readily available in lots of outlets. I've used their Classic 30 in my CCKW. As for the Gearbox and Diffs, as Degsy says, there are differing opinions held on the forum over whether to use GL4 or GL5. IMHO, given what I've read, both will probably be okay, but myself I've still to make a final decision... I'm sure you've seen it, but this thread is the one to follow. Link.

Kind regards

Vulture

P.S. Care to share a photo of your truck ?

Edited by Vulture
Add a link

Shell Rotella or Mobile Delvac brand 15-40 or straight 30 weight is probably the best choice.

Its a heavy duty diesel oil. You REALLY want an API CF, CG-4 or CH-4 spec oil... or the European equivalent.

The reason is that most 'S' API rated oils SJ, SL, SM have virtually eliminated the ZINC flat tappet valve lifters need for lubrication. Since passenger cars have bits that can be damaged by zinc in the exhaust (O2 sensors and Catalytic converts) API 'S' (passenger car/gasoline engines) have been much quicker to remove zinc than the diesel oils.

You can use API 'S' rated oils but I would recommend a zinc additive (google zinc oil additive) and it generally abbreviated ZDDP. A bottle can be $10-15... so its much cheaper to use diesel engine oils.

GMC 270's are tough motors, but they most likely are going to be pretty worn.... and 270 parts ain't cheap.

And run GL-5.

And don't forget the cardboard!

:)

Edited by deadline

"There used to be 1,400-1,500 zinc ppm in [passenger-car] motor oils, about where [shell] Rotella [diesel-truck] oil is now."

'Zinc accumulation mainly affects oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, which are very sensitive to the ash that may accumulate on them."

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0702_pitstop_zinc_oil_additive/#ixzz1sq2uZ6Ss

Sorry to get all Bill-Ney-the-Science-Guy on everyone... but there be myths that need busting!

Mobil says:

". For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-5 specification the phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission protection equipment. The engine manufacturers are confident that this level of phosphorus will protect both new and older engines"

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Zinc_Motor_Oils.aspx

So a car oil has roughly HALF AS MUCH of that good zinc/phosphorus we need.

That's why its important to look for that CF, CG-4 or CH-4 spec on the label.

Edited by deadline

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Warrior

Here in the UK Comma do a range of oils which are readily available in lots of outlets. I've used their Classic 30 in my CCKW. As for the Gearbox and Diffs, as Degsy says, there are differing opinions held on the forum over whether to use GL4 or GL5. IMHO, given what I've read, both will probably be okay, but myself I've still to make a final decision... I'm sure you've seen it, but this thread is the one to follow. Link.

Kind regards

Vulture

P.S. Care to share a photo of your truck ?

Hi Vulture

Here's a couple of pics of my truck, found it in some woods a couple years ago with no body, repaired cab waistband and door bottoms, found a body for sale in yorkshire, had to replace stake pockets, put new valves in head, s'steel exhaust, new canvases,now saving up for some petrol, lots of small jobs still to do, seem to take twice as long as they should do!

warrior:-)

DSCN0318.jpg

004.jpg

DSCN0298.jpg

Hi Vulture

Here's a couple of pics of my truck, found it in some woods a couple years ago with no body, repaired cab waistband and door bottoms, found a body for sale in yorkshire, had to replace stake pockets, put new valves in head, s'steel exhaust, new canvases,now saving up for some petrol, lots of small jobs still to do, seem to take twice as long as they should do!

warrior:-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61154[/ATTACH]

Hey Warrior, looks like you've done a great job there :clap:. It was certainly looking pretty tatty when you got it ! I like the bit, "saving for petrol", I soooooo know what you mean !

Kind regards

Vulture

Hey Warrior, looks like you've done a great job there :clap:. It was certainly looking pretty tatty when you got it ! I like the bit, "saving for petrol", I soooooo know what you mean !

Kind regards

Vulture

Hi Vulture

Seemed like a good idea at the time when some body i knew phoned me and said he'd seen an old truck in some woods,only

needs a bit of work ha,ha

here's a couple more pics before and after.

059.jpg

242.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0260.jpg

DSCN0279.jpg

005.jpg

Hey Warrior - the before pic shows a bare cab roof, the after shots show a nice roof lining. How would I go about getting one of those?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony

Got the roof lining from the states, go to http://www.oldcchevytrucks.com, on the menu go to 34-46 truck parts, they call them headliners over there, part no up2071 35.5 dollers comes in two pieces,ok

Cheers Warrior

Thanks, very much - how did you cope with freight to UK?

No problem, because the roof lining is made of thick fiber board and it is two pieces, they roll it up and post in a tube.

can't remember the cost, you should be ok for import duty. :D

Warrior, I'm envious of the nice dry facilities you have there !!! How long have you been working on the truck now ? Apart from stencils it looks about finished ?

Vulture

Started out doing it in a field about 18 months ago, alright till the autumn comes, thankfully I have a good MV mate who lets me use his workshop, got a couple of other MVs dotted about in other places, have to keep hiding them from the other half, she'd sooner have a new kitchen than a green thing with smelly canvas. :-D