Aec millitant and reo wrecker

Hi everyone my name is bill dodds and i live on a farm near hornsea east yorks we have an mot testing station and garage on the farm my intrests are military vehicals and armour of any type , i spent a few years in the reme in the sixtys and it gave me the trade that has kept the work all my life . I have an abbott ferrit aec and a reo wrecker . The last 2 are my current projects and would like to hear from anyone who has similar vehicals thank you bill dodds

Edited by VikersAbbott
spelling

Hi Bill,

welcome to the forums.

I have a Militant, how's yours coming along?

Simon

hi simon thanks for your reply. i think this forum will be very handy for infomation on all types of vehicals including finding parts . i found my millitant 2 years ago in a scrapyard i put 2 batterys on it and it started an drove home , i sandblasted it back to bare metal and painted it in desert colours it looks well ill send you some pics when it stops raining . got a build sheet from british museum and it shows it was built in 1965 which mean it needs an mot thats a bit of a blow i cant find out how far to go with the repairs needed so ill just do it as we would with a 65 car and see what they say when i present it i drove one of these in the army youve realy got to pick your route, bloody numb steering. my veh has never been registered before . have you any info on that subject . it would not have been any problem if it had been pre 60 what years yours? do you know anyone with a reo wrecker i need info on winch and crane controls thanks again regards bill

hi simon thanks for your reply. i think this forum will be very handy for infomation on all types of vehicals including finding parts . i found my millitant 2 years ago in a scrapyard i put 2 batterys on it and it started an drove home , i sandblasted it back to bare metal and painted it in desert colours it looks well ill send you some pics when it stops raining . got a build sheet from british museum and it shows it was built in 1965 which mean it needs an mot thats a bit of a blow i cant find out how far to go with the repairs needed so ill just do it as we would with a 65 car and see what they say when i present it i drove one of these in the army youve realy got to pick your route, bloody numb steering. my veh has never been registered before . have you any info on that subject . it would not have been any problem if it had been pre 60 what years yours? do you know anyone with a reo wrecker i need info on winch and crane controls thanks again regards bill

Hi Bill,

if you have a build sheet which shows the chassis number, and the engine number etc, this was what I used as proof to register the militant. It was however, back in 1994, and I can't really remember what I did, but I think I rang the DVLA and they sent someone out who inspected my build sheet, looked at the chassis number on the militant and was satisfied. I don't know if I had to wait for them to issue a logbook and registration number before I could tax it though. I'd strongly advise against getting a Q plate, it might seem easier, but in the longer term I think it looks crap. An MOT is a bit of a bind, just ask Jules, another member on here with a militant that needs testing. However we have a responsibility to keep the vehicles roadworthy, which I'm begining to think might be easier if you have an annnual test to attend, that is if you get testers that know what they are looking at! My militant is 1953, and appears in the thread Mk1 militants. We are going to York with the 5.5 gun this Sunday, God willing, so if you see us please come and say hello.

This will keep you busy for a while :)

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7394-A-E-C-Militant-MK-1-Gallery

Edited by Simon Daymond

hi simon thanks for the info ,im having to take my wife to harrogate this weekend as a penalty for buying the reo but if i can do a swerve towards york i will do! we will just have to persivere with the mot , its a bind but we will get there , i should not complain realy because mots are my livelyhood and i know most of the testers at our local VOSA stn at beverley ,your dead right when you say we have a responsibility to keep our vehs right ,the reo i bought is a good example of a dealer selling a potential death trap i bought it down near portsmouth, and all you can do is look at the thing its impossible to see inside them! anyway when it arrived here i stripped the brakes down it took me a week to do 4 hubs! lineings were non existant 1 bearing had collapsed and had torn the oil seal to shreds the hubs were all heavily contaminated with oil, the adjusing cams were so siezed i had to remove the backplates and press them out in the workshop! the w/cyls were all leaking and the m/cylinder was dry ,once round the block and someone could have died! i still have the front hubs to do if i had not had my workshop facilliteis i cound not have been able to do it, needless to say hes not answering the phone to me, but when i do get it finnished it ill know its right. ill get in touch with the other milly owner to see how hes going on with his mot regards bill

Think this will explain what you need to know regards the Reo wrecker

Never used or operated one or indeed watched the above video but have been told by a contact thats how he sorted his out

Edited by cosrec

Hello Bill,was over your neck of the woods this morning I was at Hedon, I wanted to sneak over to Fort Paull, but had to go back to the Rotherham office, is it worth visiting ?

looking forward to seeing pics of your Reo !

John

hello bill,was over your neck of the woods this morning i was at hedon, i wanted to sneak over to fort paull, but had to go back to the rotherham office, is it worth visiting ?

Looking forward to seeing pics of your reo !

John

hi john yes it is worth a visit but try to pick a nice day its a bit bleak there on the banks of the humber its ages since i went but they tell me theres a bit more stuff there now. If you get chance theres a good nuclier bunker not far from there its at holmpton on the withernsea road, this is proving to be a brilliant forum,im glad i joined regards bill

Edited by VikersAbbott

think this will explain what you need to know regards the reo wrecker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jovlia0vs5u

never used or operated one or indeed watched the above video but have been told by a contact thats how he sorted his out

hi cosrec and thanks a lot i just watched the film it was exactley what i wanted to know it dosent come any clearer than that! Il be winching myself around the yard now! Thanks again the music wasnt bad either regards bill

Just had a look at that video dont come no simpler or clearer

Re registering the aec if you dont mind a Q plate all you need is the engine number chassis number Mot certificate with chassis number on it and insurance and means of payment. Tell the staff at Beverly tax office its your first time and they will help you fill form in. If you want age related plate you will need all above+letter confirming build date from a respected body eg AEC society etc if you get stuck i may know someone. Dont ask me why but it has to be a letter even if you have an original manufacturers plate riveted to the chassis with YOM build date or gerbotag stamped on Beverly wont accept it. The Mot wont be a problem as you will well know the lads at Council Yard Anne Mead test station are pretty helpful as long as everything works as it should. That is if you are using it for Private use and not wanting it plating and testing.

thanks again for info on aec , im having to rewire lights thro a separate system with my own brand of switches etc to get everthing working as it should .the on off switch and light switches are shot but they shoud be easy to get as most of them appear to be standard design and interchageable i cant find the low air warning buzzer and im not sure if it ever had one. i got a build cert from commertial veh museum in lancs so thats not a problem ,it shoud be ready for testing in a couple of weeks thanks agian bill

Hi Bill,

if you have a build sheet which shows the chassis number, and the engine number etc, this was what I used as proof to register the militant. It was however, back in 1994, and I can't really remember what I did, but I think I rang the DVLA and they sent someone out who inspected my build sheet, looked at the chassis number on the militant and was satisfied. I don't know if I had to wait for them to issue a logbook and registration number before I could tax it though. I'd strongly advise against getting a Q plate, it might seem easier, but in the longer term I think it looks crap. An MOT is a bit of a bind, just ask Jules, another member on here with a militant that needs testing. However we have a responsibility to keep the vehicles roadworthy, which I'm begining to think might be easier if you have an annnual test to attend, that is if you get testers that know what they are looking at! My militant is 1953, and appears in the thread Mk1 militants. We are going to York with the 5.5 gun this Sunday, God willing, so if you see us please come and say hello.

This will keep you busy for a while :)

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7394-A-E-C-Militant-MK-1-Gallery

hi simon i should have got your mobile no as i could have made it on sunday but yorks a big place and tourist info in harrogate couldnt find any ref to a military meeting and york information was imposible to access hope your day went well anyway , what does your milly do to the gall,

thanks again for info on aec , im having to rewire lights thro a separate system with my own brand of switches etc to get everthing working as it should .the on off switch and light switches are shot but they shoud be easy to get as most of them appear to be standard design and interchageable i cant find the low air warning buzzer and im not sure if it ever had one. i got a build cert from commertial veh museum in lancs so thats not a problem ,it shoud be ready for testing in a couple of weeks thanks agian bill

Don,t worry about buzzer Reg,s say two means of identifying low air pressure so warning light and gauge is ok. Was changed after many years of being enforced when some body realized deaf people can drive