gunpowder mills walkabout

This is just to gauge interest, but seeing as how Sir Paul and Tunnel Rat are taking us down the tunnels, and showing us some interesting sights, would people be interested in doing visits to other places?

At this time of year the vegetation and nettles have died down, and its perfect for having a walk around the gunpowder mills and checking out some of the historical buildings that you only see for a few seconds whilst on the land train.

If people are interested I'd put together a little walking tour that would take in such places as the nitro glycerine hill, cordite press house, explosive test bunker, water mill and a few other more unusual places.

No tunnels, but as its a "wet" site even the air raid shelters are above ground.

What do you think, any interest?

Well that seems like its worth doing then :-D

Don't know when yet, but definitely before Feb, as we want to go before the vegetation starts growing back.

Sorry Lee, no vehicles, just feet!

Although we might use the Fox to check the tank course before the show in June :whistle:

I'll mention this to the site and get the all clear from them before we decide on a date, but it will be a sat or sun, that way you get to see the railway stuff too.

Prob meet up in Mc Donalds car park opposite the mills, and then follow the Rapier to the rear mills entrance where we leave the cars.

Usual safety rules apply, stay together as a group, no wandering off on your own, as I'm not pulling you out of any deep holes.

Although this is meant as a nice day out, its also an incentive to get you to bring a vehicle or 5 along to the show on 23/24th june, see, i haven't forgotten.....

Well that seems like its worth doing then :-D

Sorry Lee, no vehicles, just feet!

Although we might use the Fox to check the tank course before the show in June :whistle:

Sounds good.. get to go round before the others knock the trees down again.. :evil: probably drop the MV's down the week before again if thats ok :-D

The steam fair was a bit of a headache for them Lee.

16 ton steam engines, narrow solid tyres, and wet grassland....

And they expected me to pull them out with a little John Deer tractor :dunno:

Looking forward to your show, are you having the WW2 burger van you had at chelmsford?

Or the nice man from the RAF for the kiddies :police:

The steam fair was a bit of a headache for them Lee.

16 ton steam engines, narrow solid tyres, and wet grassland....

And they expected me to pull them out with a little John Deer tractor :dunno:

Looking forward to your show, are you having the WW2 burger van you had at chelmsford?

Or the nice man from the RAF for the kiddies :police:

You mean this burger van..

width=640 height=425http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ian2b/100_3859colincatering8.jpg[/img]

Nice burger van. Will Mr T be doing hot dogs as well next time?????

As for the Mill walk - would love to come and can probably bring some extra bodies who wanted to come on the subterranean tours but none of us could escape the clutches of senior management.

Nice burger van. Will Mr T be doing hot dogs as well next time?????

I think a photo of this quality should end up in one of the MV Mags ;-) it's not that often you see a WW2 vehicle put to such good use.. now you know what an MVT area Sec. gets up to in his spare time..

Going to see the boss lady on wednesday about details for the June military vehicle show, and will mention the walkabout then.

Its always better to have face to face chats rather than e-mail ones.

That way i can explain just what a lovely well behaved bunch we are :roll:

Right, been to see boss lady at the mills today, and she has said its ok for me to give a guided walk around the site, but with a few conditions......

First one is it has to be done during our open season, which starts from the end of April.

Second, is that we keep the numbers down to about a dozen.

Thats it, so put your names down, and first come first served.

preference will be given to those who go on the tunnelling expeditions, you know who you are! :angel: