Superwinch overdrive in lightweight landrover

Alan

Well the first Lwt I looked at, the deal fell through, seller changed his mind the day after I looked at it (should have bought there and then).

I am due to see a second which has the above, anybody got experince of this overdrive, I have been reading mixed reviews, so thought it best to come to a place I can trust.

It also has road tyres fitted rather than xcl's, presume this improves (!) road noise a lot, but I prefer the look the look of the xcl, anyone know how much a set of 4 would cost?

from what I understand....mind you..... my head can be a cloudy place on times..:cool2:...

'Superwinch ' was the name of the outfit that took over 'Fairey' ????

I don't know if they changed much if any of the design.... but Fairey kit/hubs/overdrives etc are the proper top stuff mate.

I've had them on loads of LRs and never had a moments trouble with any of them..

...in fact ....

....got hubs and an overdrive on my old Series 2 now and they're 100%.. great bits of kit :-D

Same overdrive , you just don't get the words Fairey Winches. Tavistock, Devon on the casing casting.

The last built (Rovers Down South, New Orleans - production stopped last December) may have the RDS logo on the casting

Had one in Series1 with V8 conversion, put up with that OK for 5 yrs, good bit of kit. They all leak oil around the selector rod, and take their oil from splash in the trans box, so if you drain one you need to re-fill it initially or it will run dry for a while, then re-check trans box oil. Manual says to just only use it in 3rd & top gears to avoid too much torque.

Edited by gritineye

Just had a second hand O/D fitted to my lightweight. All very quiet and while I haven't done a good run yet, it certainly transforms the vehicle. The advice I got was to check the oil OFTEN as it might well leak into the transfer box, and definitely only use it in 3rd and 4th.( Why would you use it in 1st and 2nd anyway?)

Edited by Meteor mark 4B

I have just bought a second LtWt to add to the one I have already got. And this is fitted with a O/D. I have to say it makes a hell of a difference. I also had it fitted to my previous 101, and it's been the 5th gear that these vehicles have needed all along.

Mine has 7.50,s fitted as well and together with the O/D it's the best handling and best LtWt I have owned. And I have now owned five of them.

Thanks for all the info, had a look at the l/r in question yesterday, not a bad vehicle and as you all have said the o/d makes a difference. Still not sure I have found the right one yet to buy though.