PRC 352 Mounting in FV433 Abbot?

andym

Does anyone know how the PRC 352 mounting in an Abbot is supposed to work? There's a tray to take the radio which has four pegs and a clamp at the end:

IMG_3370aw.jpg

The manual unhelpfully just says that the radio is in a carrying frame. At a guess the tray is designed to accept one of the backpack frames but I don't see what would engage with the four pegs. Any suggestions please?

Andy

It is. The plate is for use with the 351, 352 and 320 radios, and allows them to be fitted to the lightweight carrier, the GS carrier, or the various vehicle mounts with the two bars/rods.

The adapter plate has captive screws that engage with the tapped holes on the radio casing. This must be fitted to the set first. The plate then has a pair of inverted U hooks that go over one of the carrier horizontal bars/tubes plus the two screw up "J" clamps - unscrew those, flip the hooks around so that they will close on the other bar/tube and screw down the clamp to lock the set in place.

Sorted!

Chris.

(There's another vehicle mount for a "clipped in" manpack set. This consists of a bolt down frame that accepts the entire manpack set without having to remove it from the GS carrier - it can thus bre quickly removed from the vehicle and worn when required.)

• 1 month later...

Hmm - unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. The two U-hooks underneath do indeed engage with front round bar but the J-clamps are far too far apart to engage with the back bar.

IMG_3407aw.jpg

This poor quality pic I found seems to suggest that either I've got the wrong frame or there's another bracket that fits over the ends of the round bars. Any ideas?

Abbot-Clansman-IMG_5339aw.jpg

Andy

Must be a different radio frame required. The top screw down mount isn't needed when the 2 J clamps are used (as in a ferret) , so I would guess the mount for that bracket probably just has 4 u brackets and relies on the top screw to clamp it into place in the vehicle. I haven't seen one like that though.

Must be a different radio frame required. The top screw down mount isn't needed when the 2 J clamps are used (as in a ferret) , so I would guess the mount for that bracket probably just has 4 u brackets and relies on the top screw to clamp it into place in the vehicle. I haven't seen one like that though.

I'm beginning to think that, although one might ask why they did it that way!

Andy

Would it wwork the other way round? Turned 180 deg? Do the top of the radio pointing towards the turret? The longer bars should be for the clamp like on the land rover/ferret

Might have been said already!

Cheers

alex

A good suggestion, but I still don't think the bars will be long enough. I'll give it a try next weekend, though - thanks!

Andy

If it works better the other way redrill the mounting holes and the two bolt holes for the clamp, then it will face the right way as per picture.

I have just measured one of the mounting frames I have for the land rover and the longer bar is 14 inches long if thats any help.

Cheers

alex

Would it wwork the other way round? Turned 180 deg? Do the top of the radio pointing towards the turret? The longer bars should be for the clamp like on the land rover/ferret

Might have been said already!

Cheers

alex

Having tried, unfortunately that doesn't work so I think johnhughes' suggestion about some tube to extend the bars gets my vote. I'll find some suitable tube and give it a go.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some photos to make things a little more obvious. It seems the "tube extension" idea will do the trick nicely, especially once the mount has been blasted and repainted to the original silver colour.

IMG_3628aw.jpg

IMG_3629aw.jpg

Andy