Romney Kent

woa2

I am being taken on Holiday in Romney in Kent on 9-13 April with my Wife, Daughter, Son-in-Law and 2 Grandchildren. Can anone suggest any good places to visit in the area suitable for a WW2 vehicle enthusiast to help keep my sanity? I'm staying in a caravan at Romney Sands park. I know I can get a ride on the RHDR Railway, but I wonder what else there is to do there. Anyone any suggestions, please?

Loads of things to do down there mate.

You can visit the pluto pumping bungalows,the sound mirrors,white cliffs experience,walk along the beach and see abit of the mullberry harbour that broke free while being towed across and when you are looking at that you will also be in roughly the same spot where the first v1 was spotted of the english coast, theres also the brenzett museum. thats to name just a few things to do.

Buster

Yep, the Hawkinge Museum is still going strong!

Also the Battle of Britain Memorial at Caple Le Ferne just up the road is Excellent.

FREE & a lovely venue on a Sunny Day! (Small Tea Room & books to buy)

There is also a small, but FREE Womens Land Army Museum just outside the Precincts of Dover. (On a Farm with Nice Tea Room. But eats are a 'Little' expensive due to being 'Home Baked'!.............A few Animals for the Kiddies to pat & look at, also FREE!

Dover Castle is nice if you like a big venue & medieval time periods. Also a lovely view point just up the road for a panoramic view over Dover Harbour. It is Natonal trust with a large Tea & souvenier room.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from my Romney holiday, and many thanks for the suggestions.

We went to Brenzett museum, which we enjoyed. Lot to see and friendly staff, even prices in the shop were reasonable.

We went to Hawkinge. A lot there, but the staff were very unfriendly and there was no-one to explain anything. Too cold and impersonal.

Had a day on the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and had a fantastic day out. The holiday home park had it's own station, whih made things easier. Staff very helpful, friendly and enthusiastic.

Went to Rye, but it started to pour with rain, so went back as Grandchildren were getting grumpy. I saw a 1930's Essex car there parked in the street with a Jack Russel sitting in it, like my dog.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Robert Davey

Bit late to say now but.....

just up the road from Dover...just past the Battle of Britain memorial is the proper impressive remains of two of our long gone cross channel gun emplacements

..can't remember the names???....mmmhhh .hang on!..mmmhh..

right got it ....St Margarets Cliff and the other is Wanstone Battery !...

.but there's lots left to mooch about .

... but....It's not really fer little Grandkids I suppose..

.................too many brambles and nettles :cool2: .

..and big holes and stuff to loose them in.....:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2: