Help with B-Vehicle card - Leyland Martian

madrat

Hi Folks,

Just found the B-Vehicle card for my Leyland Martian I just bought. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the codes/info on the form? I can see it was with a few regiments of the royal artillery.

Many thanks in advance,

Duncan

VehicleRecordLeyland.jpg

If it's like mine, then it spent the first 10 years sat in storage! CVD equates to Central Vehicle Depot, and I think the Class from/to columns refer to vehicle serviciability over a period of years. What I really find interesting is the fact that your truck is an earlier serial to mine, and was in service 3 months later! Here's mine for comparison, though I had to get a copy and the history from the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley when it was still open.

vehicle data card.jpg

17th January 1974: Sold at OSDD (Ordnance Storage & Disposal Depot), Ruddington, Nottinghamshire.

Sale No.127 took place on 16/17 January 1974 & it usually was the second (or third) day with the plant & heavy stuff. But I cannot find 43 BM 58 at all, although there were other Martians. I've looked through the next 7 sales but nothing I'm afraid.

The average price was about £450 with one at £620 & the lowest as £270 with someone's annotation in the margin "rough".

Thanks very much for the replies, really appreciate the input and time spent!

Its amazing that it sat for 10 years, I guess this might have been whilst they were sorting out problems with the clutch/steering? It would be interesting to get a copy of contract 6/V/6710

Clive, Those sale results must be fascinating! A shame it wasn't listed but thanks for looking for me!

If it's like mine, then it spent the first 10 years sat in storage! CVD equates to Central Vehicle Depot, and I think the Class from/to columns refer to vehicle serviciability over a period of years. What I really find interesting is the fact that your truck is an earlier serial to mine, and was in service 3 months later! Here's mine for comparison, though I had to get a copy and the history from the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley when it was still open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58876[/ATTACH]

Marvin,

I've been trying to translate your card - does anyone know what 103 Light Air Defence Regt, Royal Artillery, was equipped with in 1967 - 77 and what TMP stands for? (it's still at Warminster!)

I've been trying to translate your card - does anyone know what 103 Light Air Defence Regt, Royal Artillery, was equipped with in 1967 - 77

According to Geoff Fletcher's article in the latest Windscreen, it looks like Bofors then in 1978 they changed to Blowpipe.

Marvin,

In the period 1967 -77, it looks like the regiment consisted of:

HQ Battery

208th (3rd West Lancashire) Battery

209th (The Manchester Artillery) Battery

213th (South Lancashire Artillery) Battery (formed 1st July 1969)

The RHQ was at Deysbrook Barracks, Liverpool which appears to be a Tesco store now!

The Regimental MOD web page shows the following phone numberrs: 0151 727 4455 / 01744 697823

They might be able to help with photos / info etc

Good luck!