Bedford MJ worshop van body secure mounting

robin craig

Question

Pardon the possible repost.

I am drawing a blank trolling the forum for the answer which I thought someone had posted before.

I am looking for what is the "issue" or "correct" tie downs for a workshop body to the deck of an MJ cargo.

Can anyone show me pictures of what they use or what was proper in service standard attachments.

We feel what we have is cobbled together and not that safe and would like to improve on it.

Thanks

R

11 answers to this question

Robin, how are you attaching it at the moment, and are there no photos on the interweb anywhere?

I don't know much about these but looking at photos on the web they all look as though they have some form of clamping system with three clamps either side of the bed.

Edited by Sean N
Additional information

I thought that I responded to this thread but somehow it has not appeared. On the container bodies was an embossed plate showing the position of the clamps, it showed Bed RL and MK/MJ as the two are different. There was a thread on this a while ago, not looked myself, unless it was lost a few years ago.

Clive,

yes that is what I was referencing about having had the answer once before, I am embaressed to say that.

Richard you may also be correct as far as containers but ours is a van body affair.

Right now we have some ugly J hooks along the sides and a horrible cross chain affair at the front. There is no give in any of this and I want to do better and safer. This was cobbled together in Grantham prior to export.

From the looks of the Crusader 80 folks website there is a "proper" system that is better.

I'm thinking that I want something that has some stiff coil springs to allow some give to the hold downs.

Just one of many tasks to get done this year. Would also love to make some air over hydraulic jacking legs to take advantage of the already present air on the Bedford to lift it off and drive out from underneath.

R

Clive,

yes that is what I was referencing about having had the answer once before, I am embaressed to say that.

Richard you may also be correct as far as containers but ours is a van body affair.

Robin,

It is all coming back now. The previous thread was about yours, sorry. I recollect an unusual body now. Can you repost a picture of the body, because I remember a REME unit having an odd shaped container body, it might be the one as it was on an MJ although last seen about 16 years back.

Ian,

That plate helps, I know we have numbers all down the sides.

What about the method of securing? Do you have some pictures of those too?

By the way, where is that plate located?

Thank you

R

The plate was on the rear of the container on the left side. Sorry no pics of how it was secured. This one was on a Daf. You might be able to zoom in and see the hooks.

War & Peace 2010 IB 091.jpg

War & Peace 2010 IB 093.jpg