Different 2-pin Slave / Intervehicle connectors

Dear All

I am not sure whether this belongs in Electrics, American Vehicles, the non-existent French vehicles topic, for sale or here so I will post it here and let the moderators move it if they think it should be elsewhere.

I have a French Simca Marmon SUMB truck with a 2 pin slave / intervehicle connector and a couple of French inter-vehicle cables. The socket on the vehicle has copper contacts flush with the surface and the plugs on the cables have pins about 35mm long.

I bought some similar looking sockets advertised as being for M35 trucks etc from a US E-Bay seller which are mechanically similar and mate with my plugs but have deeply recessed contacts inside - about 37mm from front surface to metal as near as I can measure. So there is little or no electrical contact and I can only assume that they were designed not to mate.

I am therefore trying to understand why there are two versions, and what the correct version of the socket to replace the rather scruffy one on my truck would be called so I can try to buy one (I'd actually like to buy several, as I want to build a couple of battery packs compatible with my truck for backup starting and to power radio equipment in the field as these seem like ideal screened heavy current connectors ...)

I am also open to offers for the 6 NOS ones which turned out not to be what I needed !

Regards

Iain

nos-socket-small.jpg

marmon-socket-small.jpg

plug-small.jpg

Apparently these plugs had a habit of arcing when the silver coating wore off, so perhaps this is why the other ones may be shorter. The newest intervehicle connectors use a large centre pin.

I have several of these in parts box over here as were fitted to Hong Kong FFR's. Will have a look at the pins next weekend.

The only drama I see with fixing them is getting the correct copper bit to recrimp onto the wires, not sure if it is a standard part or not. If can get that then easy to fix

ps: should be a piece of rubber under the cap