Scammell Crusader Eka

For some reason when lowering the main boom it blows off a valve before it rests on the stops.This means the boom is sitting high and wont go right down.Any ideas?

Hi Kevin,

It is many years since used to work on them, so memory is not clear as to whether it is a single acting ram or double acting, I thought the former, where it drops by gravity when the spool valve is actuated. It could be tight pivot pin on the boom, have you tried greasing it then working it up and down?

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for that,i will have to study it tomorrow .You could be right but i cannot understand how when the boom comes to just above the resting pads the tone of the engine changes just like a vallve is blowing off ,putting the engine under load.

Richard,

Thanks for that,i will have to study it tomorrow .You could be right but i cannot understand how when the boom comes to just above the resting pads the tone of the engine changes just like a vallve is blowing off ,putting the engine under load.

Kevin,

I understand what you are saying, but without any manuals here I cannot be sure how the circuit is on the EKA. Do remember having to put new seals in the ram when our unit recovery had a problem, but being telescopic, it make me think it is single acting.

Kevin,

I understand what you are saying, but without any manuals here I cannot be sure how the circuit is on the EKA. Do remember having to put new seals in the ram when our unit recovery had a problem, but being telescopic, it make me think it is single acting.

Definitely single acting gravity takes it down something wedged under boom some were ??? .

As for engine coming under load at that point only thing i can suggest is one of the other valves e.g legs up not centralising properly and oil is being diverted to them.

There is a check valve on the lower circuit of the the boom up down function that checks rate of decent of boom but this usually comes in to play when decent is to fast i dont think it it will come in to action on the last stage when speed is at it slowest.

One other thing check filter in return line if this is choked residual back pressure in system is more than enough to support boom on lower stage of ram current cold snap will make this worse.

My guess it is this plus another valve?spool control lever not centralised there is a layman's way to check can explain if you require

Edited by cosrec

Thanks for that the hydraulic filters look as if they have been on there since day one,would you have a civvy part number for them?I have got no electrics to my eka gear is there any way that if there is no power it could stop a valve from opening?somebody told me there should be a button for dropping the boom,but none of my buttons or switches work.

thanks

Kevin

Thanks for that the hydraulic filters look as if they have been on there since day one,would you have a civvy part number for them?I have got no electrics to my eka gear is there any way that if there is no power it could stop a valve from opening?somebody told me there should be a button for dropping the boom,but none of my buttons or switches work.

thanks

Kevin

Hi sorry i have no part no,s for filter but i do remember it was an of the shelf item i got from a local hydraulic store went by the size of it.

The same filters are fitted on some skip loaders From memory there is a casting no on the filter bowls and i am sure a bit of trawling around on the internet will come up up with the required numbers.

Yes there is a toggle switch that allows the boom to lower but all this did was electrically operate the actual spool valve. Lack of electric in no way should affect operation of equipment manually.

I had one for a couple of years i then transferred the gear on to a Volvo and ran it for another 7 years. Even with new filters it took for ever to come down on the last stage of the ram in cold weather. to speed it up i sometimes hooked main winch rope on to hook on back leg and pull winch lever and boom down at same time.

Thanks for all the help,Cosrec you were right,hooked the winch rope on the leg applied a little presure on the winch as we lowered the boom down it came, then worked no problem by its self after that.

thanks

Kevin

Please to hear that it is a fantastic piece of kit more than a match for the chassis it is on indeed or most chassis you could put it on but it does have some little niggling faults at times.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anybody give me the civvy part numbers for oil and fuel filters for my crusader

thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Coopers filters part numbers are as follows, should be able to cross ref to most good makers part

Oil AZL041

Fuel - canister type AZF015

Fuel - Spin on type AZF051

Air - OD 235mm HGT 343mm AZA309

Air - OD 282mm HGT 419mm AZA314

Hope that helps

Nigel