WW2 RAF bikes

thedawnpatrol

Now I notice the angle of the frame tube (front of engine, next to exhaust pipe) to the stem of the steering pintle(?). Its more at a 45° angle like on an Ariel W/NG; whilst a BSA WM20 is steeper. 

Right, so that would end that discussion on whether its an ariel or a bsa. Bummer, kinda wished it had been a BSA

• 8 months later...
On 12/29/2019 at 9:30 PM, malcolm barlow said:

HELLO  i bought a bsa j12 500cc (vee twin engine ) from begium it had been left there when the lads had to come home in a hurry.  normally all bsa have a bsa engine and frame number which are all recorded but those bought ona air ministry contract had special numbers . Mine for example has frame number H15.26.26 engine number H15.2696  bsa club comfirm that it was despatched from the factory as a 500cc special war office twin ,part of a 200 machine supplied to the air ministry under contract 559903/36c10(b)and 632331/37 between january 1936 and july 1937. if you find out where this was stationed in begium please let me know i am in doncaster 07714 229201   regards malcolm barlow

wouldn't mind seeing pictures of that motorcycle

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Samuel Llewelyn said:

Hi Lex, nice pictures  and the lightening has worked well !

The card says Great Britain  2.6.1945 do you know what else is on the card to help ID unit ?

Thanks

No probs! there is no other info on the card, unfortunatly.

Lex

• 1 year later...

Old post I know, but as far as I can tell the RAF used Norton 16Hs, the BSA M20 , some Ariel W/NGs and some Velocette MAFs (about which I have not no knowledge or seen).

I'm not sure about Triumph 3SW for the RAF, though a strange armoured vesion was used for airfield defence, I guess in the despirate days post Dunkirk?

Some of these types were 'with and without' side cars

Edited by LarryH57

• 6 months later...