Picture!! The Bovvy War Horse tank!

Jack

This is one of the best reproduction tanks I have ever seen, and no wonder seeing how much it cost to manufacture (around £250,000)... The tracks for it were in the order of £30,000 to manufacture so I believe, not bad for a total screen prescence of around 4 seconds. I was fortunate to see her whilst she was in storage at the museum and without her sponson's, it is quite surprising how bare she is inside with just a driver's seat and steering controls and a bulkhead between the driver's compartment and engine compartment.

She will be on display and hopefully in action during up-and-coming events at the museum (would love to see her in mock "action" against Bob Grundy's German A7V).

Not too sure Vince but that one is just a tin tube - I couldn't resist but to lift it to find out if was real. I think the cost of buying it is worth every penny. To see this running at Tank Fest is going to be real time travel.

Is the gun on the front a "film prop add on", only I don't recall the originals having one there?

The original MkIV did have a Lewis gun in the front as well as Lewis guns in the rear of each sponson so a toatla of three deployed but it also carried one as a spare

Is the gun on the front a "film prop add on", only I don't recall the originals having one there?

The MkIV had a front mounted Lewis 303 machine gun I think. The tin tube is a cooling shroud, quite distinctive of the Lewis.

Sorry, duplicate of above. My mistake!

Edited by John Pearson
Read other posts more closely!!

There were all sorts of various arment fits used. The basic male had two six pounders, the Female four .303 machine guns, then there was the Hemaprodite that had six pounders one side and machine guns the other.

Agreed, however the female had the forward facing one as well and a spare making 6 in total

Fantastic beast! Amazing what the film guys are able to spend on a 4 second shot...

I think that the tank was not built only to appear 4 seconds in the film. This is a quote from David Willey, Bovington's museum curator :

"The movie connection is going to be a draw, but for the museum the replica offers a perfect solution to the need for a working World War One tank.

"We obtained this replica because with the World War One centenaries approaching, we wanted a working example of a tank that was representative of that conflict," added Willey..

"For conservation reasons, we are no longer able to run any of our own vehicles from this period. We have long been investigating the possibility of building our own replica, so when this vehicle became available to us we were eager to acquire it."

P-O