Chevs rescued

Chev41

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah Thanks H, I will be there fingers crossed in the Chev, otherwise I will be in the Jeep. Welded up the drivers side bulkhead today and the middle section, but ran out of Gas so couldnt finish. a huge piece of cork arrived today so ready to fabricate new gaskets now for Rocker Cover and engine side panel. I need some heat down there soon. Back down there Saturday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57038[/ATTACH]

This one's for you Martin!

Kev

Wicked ! Cant wait to join you guys... finished the welding the bulkhead of all the holes today. Very very cold down there, pictures coming later once I have defrosted..

Edited by Joris

superb effort. I am so pleased there are guys still doing these restorations Years ago, well the 70s the only opportunity you had to get a Jimmy or Chev was to find one and restore it. Then all the vehicles came out of the reserve stocks in Europe and I reckon a lot of rough UK based restorations just got scrapped. We still have a 6x6 hard cab GMC ex lime spreader to restore. Not sure it will be worth doing but there again its better than your Chev. By the way, whats the real differences with the GMC vs Chev. keep it up. Great work.

Hi there,

The Big difference is GMC were 6 x 6 and Chevys were 4 x 4 lets see some pics of yours ? It was like painting treacle today !

All welded up now ready for the firewall to go back on. Not related to Howard just good friends...

Chevy feb12th 003.jpg

Chevy feb12th 004.jpg

Edited by Joris

Fire wall back in ! it was in a lot of pieces but gradually I stuck it back together, cleaned up the steering wheel and painted all the inside of the cab.. Just have to make a floor pan as its missing, if anyone has a photo of one then that would help...

Chevy feb16th bulkhead 004.jpg

Chevy feb16th bulkhead 010.jpg

Fire wall back in ! it was in a lot of pieces but gradually I stuck it back together, cleaned up the steering wheel and painted all the inside of the cab Just have to make a floor pan as its missing, if anyone has a photo of one then that would help...

Hi Malc,

yes, pretty sure I have a photo of mine here .

Give me an hour or so and will go digging and upload it :)

Hi Malc,

yes, pretty sure I have a photo of mine here .

Give me an hour or so and will go digging and upload it :)

Sorry Malcolm,

my day was mental! But here is my floor section, not a great photo but it does give you some idea. Gives you a rough idea of the kind of condition my truck was in when I started! I have other pics if there some detail in particular you need.

Bear in mind there are quite a few different floor panels, the difference being the slots on the driver's side for levers to come through. The number (and position ) of slots is dependant on the model; Cargo less winch - no slot, cargo with winch - one winch, tipper less winch (as I have) two slots, tipper with winch - three slots, etc, etc.

Hope this helps, apologies if you already knew all this :-)

DSCF1254.jpg

Edited by G506

Sorry Malcolm,

my day was mental! But here is my floor section, not a great photo but it does give you some idea. Gives you a rough idea of the kind of condition my truck was in when I started! I have other pics if there some detail in particular you need.

Bear in mind there are quite a few different floor panels, the difference being the slots on the driver's side for levers to come through. The number (and position ) of slots is dependant on the model; Cargo less winch - no slot, cargo with winch - one winch, tipper less winch (as I have) two slots, tipper with winch - three slots, etc, etc.

Hope this helps, apologies if you already new all this :-)

The floor pan on my 1945 Chev civilian RHD truck is very similar, this one partly wet-sandblasted.

(1) Rusted floor panel (partly wet-blasted) (reduced).jpg

Hi

Thanks for the picture of the floor pans ! Thinking of making one somehow. Had a good day working on her today, fitted the hydrovac pipe and valve, Oil can holder, wiring connector bracket, painted and fitted fender supports, Mr W collected side panels, Hood and fenders for blasting and painting. finished at 23.20 long day.....Oh yes drabbed the engine fitted metal fuel pipe to carb,tested the fuel pump which actually worked great after I unsiezed it and gave it a good clean out.I will replace it with a new one and keep it as a spare. Anyway heres a couple of pics, paint still wet thats why its a little glossy.

Chevy feb 21 engine bay 001.jpg

Chevy feb 21 engine bay 005.jpg

Well Mr M here we go I had an early Start and have blasted the following items for the chev restoration, The two bottom side panels, the two top panels, the quarter panels, one running board, one Bonnet, one bonnet stay, and two wings, these have also been primed and top coated in drab. enjoy the pics.Howard

DSC00140.JPG

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00146.JPG

DSC00147.JPG

DSC00148.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00162.JPG

DSC00171.JPG

DSC00175.JPG

DSC00159.JPG