Chevs rescued

Chev41

Hi All I am new to this forum, but thought you all would like to see what I found in a hedge !

In fact 2 chevys ! after lots of negotiations I bought the two which are currently in storage, with one under restoration, they were found in a scrap yard and are very poor condition, I hope to have one ready for Beltring this year. I have been working day and night since Oct and there is great progress, stripped to basic chassis and sand blasted, engine was siezed but now a runner, chassis was so bad the tranfer box half fell out ! More images to come if there is some interest...

Chevy Feb and found 002.jpg

Chevy Feb and found 001.jpg

Edited by Joris
Fixed the layout

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't believe it was back in Juy 2007 when I wrote this (post 161 on Scrap Yard Relics thread):

Another Norfolk yard from Tuesday this week - 2 x Chev 1.5T this time, and these are available.........spares only I would imagine.

The rear truck is a Post Hole Borer, as it has the original Highway winch behind what is left of cab.

You need to be brave to take on these trucks (and the owner!), a very good cab is available (with trucks only?)

If interested, PM me with your contact tel. and I will gladly pass on to owner.

Have you recovered from the negotiations yet, M? :cool2: :-D :rofl:

And all credit to you for taking them on :shocked:

Here are the pics I posted back then plus a few more (if you'd like some high res. copies, let me know)

Tony

M6, Matador, Dodge 031.jpg

M6, Matador, Dodge 032.jpg

M6, Matador, Dodge 033.jpg

M6, Matador, Dodge 034.jpg

M6, Matador, Dodge 035.jpg

M6, Matador, Dodge 036.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Hello Chev41

Keep those pics Rolling we all like a good blog on a hedgerow restoration, sounds like you are really cracking on with the restoration. If you list the parts that you need I am sure someone here may be able to help you out.Looking forward to the next lot of pics.

Regards Howard.

In the very first post, first photo, she looks like a 1941 (serpentine grill), second photo harder to date but 1942 onwards (assuming they have their original grills, of course). Great to have a good condition cab, is it a GMC CCKW or G506? There are detail differences, but it also depends on the level of detail you want to go into. There is even a fair difference between early and late Chevy cabs, its a minefield!

I had heard of these two, but assumed they would return to nature, very pleased you are saving one or both! Will you save the tipper or post hole borer?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56854[/ATTACH]Finally they are both in the dry, one was a pole setter or earth borer the other one a tipper with winch. I found a very good cab in one of the Sheds in the yard which I got with the deal...I do need parts if any one can help ?

Have you seen this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1939-chevrolet-bomb-loader-/170777187798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c31d15d6&clk_rvr_id=313877626940

Hi All A brave restoration yes, Cab going on after new centre cross member was made / Transfer box support and six weeks welding the very poor chassis which I held together with a Jig as it was so weak. I am not doing anything with the Chevy No2 until this one is finished. I believe this Chev to a 41 model, I am fitting a Cargo body as all the tipping gear ect is long gone as it was a breakdown truck at Ricks of Dereham Norfolk before finally going for scrap. more pictures to come........

Pictures iphone rose and chevy Jan 2012 001.jpg

Well done for saving these trucks. I have a few rear body brackets and rear pintle hitch I saved from a post borer/pole setter I scrapped last year if you are interested?

See link below for photos and details of the truck I scrapped.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22824-Breaking-Chevrolet-G506-based-K43-telephone-maint-truck&highlight=g506+pole

Regards - MG

Edited by TooTallMike

Ah Thanks ! I would be there now but its too damm cold ! Tackling the Cab this week welding all the many many holes that have been made in the Bulkhead, finished the passenger side, welding drivers side on Thurs, finished the Dash board as there were many holes in that too, cut in the Locker catch that was fitted with a furniture fitting. All the Panels have to come off next for sand blasting and primering, theres no heating in the workshop, so painting is a problem. I first found the trucks two years ago and its taken two years of negotiations to get this far ! I really want to see the Chevy done for Beltring this year ! I am trying my best...Thanks for all your support.:) Special thanks to Mr W my blaster and parts finder..

Chevy Feb and found 006.jpg

Chevy Feb and found 007.jpg

Chevy Feb and found 008.jpg

What a great relief all-round that the lens on NOS's camera is somewhat sharper that Malcolm's...................I've been banging the side of my iMac for the past three minutes trying to get the screen to sharpen-up until I moved on to Page 2..........!

Great progress old boy.............especially considering the temperatures your working in inside that blister hangar down the road!

Hi all,

I can see why the old gentleman simply left them in the Hedge at times ! after severing my finger in the angle grinder, suffering from Hypothermia ! and now Bronchitus, numerous burns and cutting my head open on the side step (only noticing as my welding fizzed as blood poured into the welds) almost divorce ! attempted break ins ! Rats ! I am sure it will be worth the effort ! it is of little sacrifice to the Guys and Girls of the 8th and 9th Air force that once trusted such vehicles during WW2 in East Anglia. Roll on the Rally season....lest we forget