Fragmentation Vest.

airportable

Help please. Does any one know what, era or country this vest is, or who may have used it? Chap at Stoneleigh had a few. The cover is a material very close to the 60ptn smock, and the buttons and zip are exactly the same as a couple of my 68ptn. smocks. The label is not very military like at all! A second identical cover label very faded but reads '1974 McG Bros SIZE' ???? (can not read) Have wondered if poss. to remove the liner to look for markings. Very close in weight to my 79ptn's.

Collection (16) - Copy.JPG

Collection (19) - Copy.JPG

Collection (20) - Copy.JPG

Collection - Copy.jpg

This could be a UK-made item for the Southern Irish Army, circa 1960s-70s.........? This would account for the British colour, fittings, etc......

The Irish Army around this period wore a combat uniform almost identical to the green 1960 pattern UK combat suit, but manufactured specifically for the Irish to 60 pattern specs after production for the UK military had ceased.......some smocks and trousers occasionally appear today, usually dated from the early 1970s with unique labeling lacking and of the typical NSNs, etc......I think the garments were either made in Ireland or by England-based manufacturers....?

Hi

You bought the vest from my stall at Stoneleigh. As far as I am aware the covers were put on by the Irish Army but the vest (or at least some of them) were from Korean War era. I don't know for sure but that's what others told me. Would be interested to know for sure.

Nigel

Bottomless Sporran