WW2 British softskins

fayjo56

Is it me? Since I got my MW recently, there seems to be an increase in wartime British vehicles for restoration appearing. Or am I just noticing them more? Surely there can't be many more left 'out there' to be discovered / offered for sale?

Dont get me wrong, I think its great! the more the merrier!.

I suspect there are a lot of British softskins out there; there were plenty of them around in the '70s, '80s and '90s and they don't seem so common now; my guess would be a lot of stuff that was original or first restored then is out there now awaiting a restoration or second restoration.

You could have a point there.

Not just MVs, in the biking world the asking price for 'ordinary' motorbikes is going up - may be the same - the papers are telling investors to buy old vehicles - seems the wrong reason to own an old vehicle and haven't we been here before with BSA Bantams being stored in centrally heated garages. Perhaps time for me to cover my old Royal Enfield WDCO in bubble wrap? No!

I think people are wanting someting different to show, I love my Jeep, and until recently had a very nice M3 Halftrack, both typically American, But, there is something special about the British trucks, I think also that if you are going to rebuild and run a British truck, you need to be pretty resourceful, theres not the back up of parts like the US vehicles.

Jules

Definatly need more british vehicles. Before the Nato member countries started getting rid of their Jimmies, Wards etc it was predominantly british vehicles on the show circuit, they must have all gone somewhere because you don't see many these days, i guess their all coming out of the woodwork now.

Richard

Is it me? Since I got my MW recently, there seems to be an increase in wartime British vehicles for restoration appearing. Or am I just noticing them more?

I think you have answered your own question.... You are noticing them more.

OTOH, I think your find is typical. Stored in a barn for decades, the owner then finally gives up and sells it. I reckon there are hundreds of vehicles still waiting to be discovered and bringing back from oblivion for a second or third lease of life.