out, damned rust!

philb

Er, no.

Head to the nearest agricultural suppliers or if you are friendly with a farmer, go see them and ask after an empty 205L plastic drum. Cut the top off, hey presto!

Or get a couple and slice the second one down for smaller parts.

Free drum, cheap washing soda, a few gallons of water, some scrap offcuts of rebar for anodes, a power supply and a bulb for a current limiter, lash at it! :-D

Alec.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so my pot of soda is bubbling away, and a nice rusty coloured scum is floating around on top of the bowl. Great so far. Now, supposing I wanted to de-rust a load of nuts and bolts or other small parts; should I tie them all to a copper wire and suspend them in the liquid, or should I be using steel wire? or doesn't it matter?

OK, so my pot of soda is bubbling away, and a nice rusty coloured scum is floating around on top of the bowl. Great so far. Now, supposing I wanted to de-rust a load of nuts and bolts or other small parts; should I tie them all to a copper wire and suspend them in the liquid, or should I be using steel wire? or doesn't it matter?

Use steel wire, soft metals don't last too long in this solution.