'Replica Thorneycroft' advert on Milweb

OLAF

Just for information there's a replica 1916 Thorneycroft advertised on Milweb at present:

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=3

According to the webvert it's master-craftsman made. I don't pretend to the incredible expertise of the world-class authorities on this forum, or the practical skills of an accomplished prop-builder, but it does not have me completely convinced.

It got me thinking about the portrayal of WW1 military vehicles on film and television. I know that the film-makers will always want something representative but convenient, whereas those of use who can 'spot the difference' would prefer much more faithful replicas or else originals used.

With the number of WW1-themed productions likely to increase in the next few years with the upcoming anniversary, what are the odds of us being able to watch them without finding fault? Is it possible to build a truly authentic-looking replica without modern wheels? Are originals now too precious to endanger?

What do members here think?

spelling check; NO e in Thornycroft.

There are a number of critical comments on this vehicle listed in the pre ww11 section; Thornycroft file.

The truck advertised would be ideally viewed only from a distance. Through a range finder and used as a target.

Doug:-D

This is something I have been giving a lot of thought to and really now believe that there is little place in a WW1 film for genuine WW1 vehicles. The film industry is just too brutal with originals. Just another prop for mistreatment or blowing up.

Saying that, in recent films there have been some interesting appearances. In War Horse was Peter Jacksons original Dennis chassis with replica body. Not moving it looked quite good. There was also a guest appearance from an original Vauxhall D type staff car and another vehicle which was i beleive his militarised Stewart. There was also a fleet of generic German trucks probably built on light truck chassis. Seen from a distance they looked ok and in all honesty not many people watching the film would know or even care. It is pleasing that they made a point of using the Dennis as opposed to one of the generics, as even filmed up close it didn’t look out of the way. Peter Jackson has also done a pair of replica Thornycrofts and one of them might have appeared in the film, I couldn’t be sure if it was it or not. But much like the Dennis it makes a good film prop.

In the film beneath Hill 60 there was what appeared to be a genuine Republic and that looked very good indeed. But as before, there are not many people who would know or even care if it was right or wrong.

So, in response to your question. Replica’s but good ones is what would be best. Whether we get that or not we will see, but I doubt it very much.

On the War Horse thread no one commented about my observation of the Dennis at the end of the film, so i would suggest that no one here noticed it. So if it had been an appalling replica would anybody have noticed that? Just goes to show that it is probably a waste of the Directors time and effort looking for good replicas or originals as the viewers are only interested in the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to admit I did notice the Dennis - can't remember seeing it at the close of the film but wasn't it in the recruitment of men and horses at the start of the war? Also, along with the mock up German trucks, i'm sure in the scene where the German's requisition Joey and the black horse, there's one German light vehicle parked up which looked period. The two German motorcycles were almost certainly 1920's ones though

Oh, and regarding accurate wheels - the Beamish open air museum has a WONDERFUL replica Daimler double deck bus, spoilt only by the modern wheels - however, when made it was equipped with authentic solids, and these are going to be fitted later this year - when fitted it will look identical to the original, even the pedals have been re-arranged to the correct order (with the accelerator in the middle)

http://beamishtransport.blogspot.com/2012/01/daimler-cc-replica-bus-overhaul.html

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw War Horse, and some of the replicas used seemed OK.

I think the Dennis is the truck in the background after the auction when the old French Farmer and Joey's owner are talking? It did seem pretty authentic.

After GWT's comments I kept an eye out for the German trucks, and they were a mixed bunch. Some seemed quite good in general size/shape if a little generic, although I'm certain that I saw some of the Ford Transit-based Berliets used in Flyboys- http://s12.zetaboards.com/The_Trench_Line/topic/129216/1 albeit painted field grey.

I agree that originals are preferable - as well as the Dennis I think I saw some moving background Model Ts in War Horse, and they just looked 'right'.

Here's hoping that something practical yet a little more authentic-looking can be arrived at for future films in spite of the accountants. If the tank can be so very well-done, why not the trucks?

OLAF

Here's hoping that something practical yet a little more authentic-looking can be arrived at for future films in spite of the accountants. If the tank can be so very well-done, why not the trucks?

OLAF

It'll all be CGI before much longer. Why bother with building a lump of metal if you can do it all in software?

Andy