Ark Royal,

Tony B

I just think it is downright wrong that we don't seem able to do more to save our heritage in this country. Yes there is some scrap value in the ship, yes the government is on it's upper for cash, but why can't the Ark Royal be retained alongside other historic ships. Does anyone know if we have saved any Royal Navy vessel since HMS Belfast?

I think we are slightly more fortunate in the land based Military vehicle world, that there are so many people dedicated to saving/preserving our history. Yet as a nation we don't have a flying example of the worlds first commercial jet airliner, What about the Gloster Meteor, in line with a posting the other day no flying example of the Mosquito (in the UK at least). How abut a Typhoon (the WW2 vintage) they made a huge contribution in the land war in Europe.

Why is the UK absolutely incapable of preserving key items for posterity.:banghead:

I'll just climb down off my soapbox and have a lie down in a darkened room for a while :nut:

I agree with all that has been said - are 'we' sure we should dispose of this fine ship before 'we' find another us here. In NewYork harbour I visited their huge carrier then used to display aircraft - a wonderful place to visit. I would have though 'heritage GB' would want another tourist attraction such as this, after all 'we' don't seem to build them any more.

I agree with all that has been said - are 'we' sure we should dispose of this fine ship before 'we' find another us here. In NewYork harbour I visited their huge carrier then used to display aircraft - a wonderful place to visit. I would have though 'heritage GB' would want another tourist attraction such as this, after all 'we' don't seem to build them any more.

USS Intrepid is well worth a visit. They even have a Concorde now.

It's the USS Intrepid in NY harbour. (Or "harbor" for our US friends!:rolleyes:)

Even the Yanks are struggling to maintain these relics, it's unfortunate that we'll never get the visitor numbers to pay for their upkeep.

Having the ship as a diving "reef" will at least keep it from the fate of its sistership.

Jacksons were trying to sell this ship last year but seemed very worried as to how it was to be used I thought they were suggesting that it would be best scrapped.

I know nothing of Scrap values but £3.5m doesn't seem much to me I am sure that there are a large quantity of exotic alloys.

It would be a sad end to see her winched on to a beach in Bangladesh and torn apart by hand.