"The Book"

wdbikemad

:-)....Well, the book I'm compiling about British combat clothing is going well, but the pace is slow ! I know, and appreciate, the interest that is out there so I thought it polite to keep my enthusiastic friends updated....

I'm currently at 20,000 words of text and have only covered and completed the olive drab, DPM 60 pattern and 68 patterns of combat dress..........and there's no waffle or repetition in there either...!!! I've basically set out to provide a detailed overview of each pattern, followed by a detailed description of each individual item, quoting official sources and modifications incorporated where applicable....I've attempted to miss nothing out, using the sort of questions I would ask as a basis for my ramblings......The masterplan is to continue with the remaining garments up to (and including) CS 95 dress but I do not intend to go on into the new MTP stuff....that is for a future project and there has to be a cut-off point somewhere.......

I plan to cover all temperate combat dress, cold-weather stuff, experimental and prototype gear, relevant ancillary items plus special purpose garments, including windproofs, parkas, para and sniper smocks, etc.........but not (yet at least) tropical clothing, pullys, shirts, etc........

Plan is to get most of the text completed and to back this up with loads of photos of actual garments with detail, plus a selection of period shots showing the clothing in service......

Please bear with me....it has suddenly dawned on me what a massive undertaking this is, and I suspect that the final publication will be a good effort although still with room for improvement.......I am looking at around 100,000 words at completion and then comes photo time and finding a decent publisher !! (I've been through the trauma of the latter before).........if all goes well....maybe 2013...??? We'll see how life pans out meantime....:-D

There have been many really good photos of items posted on this Forum, and there may come a point where I may seek permission from members to use some of these in the book, with due credit of course.......

Thanks to all for your continued patience and encouragement.......Steve

Edited by wdbikemad

Steve,

Having written a few books myself I know what a huge undetaking this is - and your project is much bigger than any of mine!

This is a long overdue book and very interesting indeed, so keep going and don't get too disappointed if you can't find a publisher straight away - you will get there in the end!

Good luck - I'd buy a copy so that's one you've sold!

Thanks chaps ! I've spent several days over Xmas simply reviewing what I've put together already....and for the umpteenth time at that !! As new information comes along, as it always does in a subject as complex as this, it has to be written into the text and then everything else then adjusted to match.......it IS a pleasure, but time consuming to ensure accuracy and readability......

One of the hardest things for me is actually finding the time and inclination to write, and not necessarily in that order either.......spending the majority of my working week on a keyboard in front of a screen often means that spare time doing similar is not always attractive........and 'er-indoors plus kids generally always have to take precedence over other mundane tasks such as militaria, motorbikes, mates, etc......:(

I will get there though.....this has been a project in my mind for over 25 years.....and 20,000 words so far is no slight undertaking, so it will get completed........and it would be completely dishonest of me to say that I could finish the tome without the valuable input of my friends on this Forum.....so thank you !! In due course I will be posting for input, particularly photos of items needed to ensure accuracy of the contents....and, as mentioned, all contributors will be duly credited........

Once again, sincere thanks for all ongoing support and encouragement.....it is really appreciated....:red: