What is this pouch for?

MHillyard

the main pouch itself seems fairly normal, its those bits at the top that puzzle me

They're obviously .303" cartridge loops, either for a rifle grenade or (as now seems more likely) tracer rounds. I vaguely remember being taught Fire Orders, one of which was "N rounds, range X hundred yards, watch this tracer" with the footnote that this would only apply once tracer rounds were on general issue to the infantry. I'd lay odds it's so that half a dozen tracer rounds could be carried, and kept separate from the rest of the ammunition carried.

Chris.

(Equipment of the WWII Tommy shows examples of Canadian and Indian made pouches with these loops (page 13) and reckons they were indeed for Ballastite or Tracer/Incendiary rounds. (I've just dug it out and looked).)

These loops in the pouch lid were part of the original design specification for the 37 pattern universal pouches, and factory fitted to the British-made MK1's between 1937 and 1940 (at the latest)......they also featured on the similar, larger "utility" pouches for the same period........they were (apparently) intended for "ballistite" rounds for rifle grenades.......

Although disappearing from British production, they do seem to have continued to be fitted to some Canadian, Indian, New Zealand, South African and Australian-manufactured pouches, right up to 1945 in some cases despite the use for the loops having largely disappeared well prior to then......