help with rebuilding a snatch landrover

YurtMan

[h=2][/h]

Has anyone out there got any images of schematics of wiring, radio and vehicle kit for the snatch landrover?

currently rebuilding two which seem to have most of the kit bar chassis and engine (Wolf type heavy duty ?), windscreen for one of them, windscreen cages and various bits and bobs.

one has the radio charging unit and both have the power distribution boxes.

also interested to know what sort of air con should be connected to the rather chonked through pipes either side of the front of the body feeding inside.

we heard that the body with doors weighs around 1.2 KG. Does this sound correct?

The vehicle as manufactures by NP Aerospace is listed as being 4 Tonne, although i think this relates to the '4.0 tonne GVW RICARDO Land Rover Defender chassis' and the vehicle must be around 300 KG.

Did the Snatch have uprated axles and springs in addition to the heavy duty chassis?

Also there looks to be an additional dashboard unit below the dash running almost the length. Any ideas what this might be?

And batteries. where were they stored?

very many thanks in advance.

Looks like we've got some work cut out for us!

Matt Carey

Brede.

The snatch has a glover webb up rated chassis not a wolf one, it has sailsbury front and rear axles with a bespoke front prop shaft for the axle. Both axles have anti roll bars. I think you will find the lower dash is part of the aircon system like on a civvie land rover with air con but I could be wrong. Can I suggest you take a look at the EMLRA.org forum. There is a guy on there, call sign "Mattblack", his name is Colinand he has restored one and has a number more in his possesecion. He is a fountain of knowledge on this type from rebuilding his also he has a few contacts on where to get bits from.

Hope that helps and good luck.

The chassis is a standard chassis seemingly reinforced top and bottom with continuous 4mm plate.I'm wondering if you have as a base vehicle a comPlete snatch, or have acquired a pod of a snatch.If you have a pod , do you have the 'A' frame that sts on the front outriggers and follows the standard defender bulkhead ?It also supports the front of the pod at roof level. It's made from 40mm box section, this unique part is vital if you are to fit the windscreen sections if you have them as well ?Also if you just have the pod you will need the front inside bulkhead section of makralon .A snatch 1 or 1b is based on a v8 petrol with lt85 gearbox and lt230 transfer box.Salisbury front and rear axles .Double decardron front prop ( expensive )If you are doing a snatch 2 then it's the 300tdi with R380 gearbox and Lt230 transfer box.I will check on axles when I have time, but disc brakes all round.instead of drums on rear as per snatch 1.The dashboard features different console for standard 6way lighting switch and there are separate controls for locking rear doors and controlling the remote spotlight.Of the 4 I own no two are the same and they are all currently snatch 1b.As I research further and restore the next I will be upgrading to a snatch 2 incorporating drivetrain and interior enhancements . I will post progress and help other fellow snatch owners with info where and when I can.Best wishesColin

As far as power , the snatch 1b was either just 12volts vehicle with a standard A127 alternator.

Or 12volt and 24 volt with the addition of a deprecate alternator.

Battery location for the 12volt system was under passenger seat on right hand drive models.

24volt under drivers seats .

Most snatch 2s were 24volt vehicle electrics as standard as per the wolf fleet.

great replies. thanks

well mine has two composite bulkheads, the windscreen, the cab floor, kevlar foot wells and lower dash.

also the gear box tunnel cover and kevlar top plate.

also there's a long thick galv bar almost the width of the landy which looks to be a foreward supporting bracket of some description. The A bar?

it's a pod so everything bar the bowman sets, chassis, engine and defender wings, grill and bonnet.

it has the DC charging unit for radio batteries and the 24 volt / 12 volt breakout unit.

i noticed the pod has eberspacher branding on the air con.

wondering if it was an eber hydronic heater like on my FFR and a air con?

were the seats mounted on a standard landy seat box or on frames?

many thanks

matt

• 11 months later...

Hi all, I have been looking at snatch landrover pods for sale on fleabay and wondered if the pod is all steel construction or is it made of lighter material. The information I have found so far is that it is a composite material but no further details.

I have a 1988 110 that has a decent chassis and would like to make up a snatch replica, mainly because it has almost standing room in the rear so I could use it as an off road camper. I will be towing a sankey 3/4 ton mark 4 trailer so do I need to upgrade the engine to a V8 or can the original engine pull it along off road?

(Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, please feel free to move this to an appropriate thread mr adjudicator.)

Eric

Hi all, I have been looking at snatch landrover pods for sale on fleabay and wondered if the pod is all steel construction or is it made of lighter material. The information I have found so far is that it is a composite material but no further details.

I have a 1988 110 that has a decent chassis and would like to make up a snatch replica, mainly because it has almost standing room in the rear so I could use it as an off road camper. I will be towing a sankey 3/4 ton mark 4 trailer so do I need to upgrade the engine to a V8 or can the original engine pull it along off road?

Hi Eric,

according to the manufacturers blurb, it is a ballistic comp[osite laminate (termed S-2 Glass) which is 20% lighter than the equivalent steel armour. However this doesn't men it is light. My understanding (as I've never weighed one myself) is that the rear pod of a SNATCH weighs approximately 1 tonne. I do know that my SNATCH weighs just under 3.2 tonnes according to the MoT test station. Consequently the chassis is reinforced to take the extra weight. The vehicle predates the Wolf so the chassis is based on a 'standard' landrover V8 but plated along the full length of the main rails. However other than the reinforced chassis, heavy duty suspension and Salisbury axles front and rear I think a lot of the vehicle is standard parts bin stuff. The bulkhead doesn't have the vents fitted and you effectively have double thickness bulkhead at the front to support the weight of the doors which themselves are very heavy. One seller on flea bay does seem to be including most bits you would require, except the bulkhead....

I can't answer you question wrt the engine as mine is still running the military low compression V8, but I do knowthat latter 'upgrades used a diesel. I think it was the tdi300, but it may have been the Brazilian vesrion which was 'modernised' and upgraded to 2.8 as this engine was fitted to the latest RWMIK+ )at least I think that's the latest spec) and I believe they come in closer to 4.2 tonnes GVW (the SNATCH is about 3.6 tonnes GVW).

There are sellers who bought a batches of SNATCHES and advertise them at about £1.5 k, personally I would go this route as you at least can tell the insurance company the chassis, axle and suspension are 'standard' for the vehicle..

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Julian

• 3 months later...

Yes very useful.

From what I can tell, I have Salisbury axles front and rear, and a very heavy duty chassis which looks in reasonable nick considering the age of the vehicle.

All the bits I have seen for the pod on Bay of E are anything from £50 to £400 complete.

I have already got most of the parts to replace the bulkhead, windscreen,floors, doors, dash and seats.

From what I can tell from just images, the pod forms a straight frame from chassis to roofline behind the front door frame so the standard series doors I have may have to have a frame shaped around them and attached to the pod. Is there such a thing as a lower tub side panel that would fit around the pod bottom to give the side a more land rover defender like curve?

Eric