BV206 D6 Mercedes Engine Injection pump problem

robin craig

Dear All,

Our BV206 has the Mercedes L6 turbo diesel fitted.

Behind the in line injection pump is a small unit I would call a "vacuum pot".

This, when actuated by a switch on the dash allows vacuum pressure to operate the pot and raise the engine idle speed.

We have checked the switch and the vacuum line down to the pot and all have tested good.

The pot seems to be at fault.

Does anyone have a part number and or a makers name so I can source a replacement? Parts for the BV are getting hard for us now as the supplier we once dealt in the USA has been absorbed into the BAE conglomerate and has evaporated. I am very much afraid that anything from the US is going to be ITAR controlled and unavailable.

Any clues anyone?

R

If it is an OM603 engine it is fitted to other Mercs sent to the US, so may be worth a chance to look under the hood on one of those and see if a similar device exists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM603

something else I dug up is the vacum pumps fail and it's described as "Anyone driving an OM60x engine needs to make sure they check to see if their vacuum pump is original (crimped on cover, and thus a ticking bomb) or replacement (screwed on cover)."

Anyway send over some photos and I'll keep digging

Mike,

kind of thought you might chime in on this. The vacuum pump is good.

The link shows the injection pump way, way down the page, with the pot being on the extreme right of the picture.

http://www.bv206.co.uk/BVSpares/parts2011_list.php?pagesize=500

Robin

Edited by robin craig

I just like an interesting challenge, plus I dig around the Merc forums a lot :blush:

Should be a Bosch injection pump of the PES 5 M 55 C 320 RS 158, PES 5 M 55 C 320 RS 157, PES 5 M 55 C 320 RS 177 or PES 5 M 55 C 320 RS 178

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53400[/ATTACH]

should be able to get the bit direct from Bosch (but I have to say some times it cheaper to buy a whole secondhand unit)

Apparently Pacific Fuel Injection in California is highly recommended and the guy to talk to is Gus Pfister . He may have a spare bit laying around

• 3 months later...

Mike,

Somehow I didnt see your last two postings.

I paid a visit to a little man in green and he had a wonderful box on his desk that traded NSNs for manufacturers numbers and I will have the part in my hand in the next day or so off the shelf at $125 full retail, which we dont pay anyway.

The NSN is 5930-01-173-9177 which crosses to Mercedes part number 000 070 2053. there are about 5 gasket options but to work out which we need is a crap shoot so at a cost of about $2 a piece I ordered all 5 and will bin what I dont need.

Problem solved I hope.

R

Edited by robin craig

Mike,

Somehow I didnt see your last two postings.

I paid a visit to a little man in green and he had a wonderful box on his desk that traded NSNs for manufacturers numbers and I will have the part in my hand in the next day or so off the shelf at $125 full retail, which we dont pay anyway.

The NSN is 5930-01-173-9177 which crosses to Mercedes part number 000 070 2053. there are about 5 gasket options but to work out which we need is a crap shoot so at a cost of about $2 a piece I ordered all 5 and will bin what I dont need.

Problem solved I hope.

R

NEVER BIN SPARE GASKETS!! Odds are one of them will be the next to go. :D

robin

just to satisfy my old brain could you post up the engine number not all of it just the beginining

i used to be a mercedes parts manager for 15 years on light commercial and passenger cars

and it would be interesting to see which one you have ie for example

om 603 917 10 which brakes down as a 603 engine 917 variant lhd manual

the 917 would change on different versions and fitment

ps a lot of your engine parts your local dealer should be able to help with just quote the full number

the system will work world wide even if it hasnt been sold in your country

pps if you look on a lot of the components if you get stuck you can find the mb part numbers on them

small-logo.png

Jeff,

from memory it said it was a 603A I dont think it had any digits after it.

It was plonked in there by Hagglunds (not a transplant unit) so i'm thinking they get them from MB like that.

I really do try to get part numbers off things to source locally.

It is very funny how on the Canadian Forces parts inventory system it says the part is a "controlled item" and right below it is the civvy part number from MB.

R

hi robin

casting my mind back if you look at the engine from the front of it on the right hand side of the block should be a

flat piece about 3 inches long near the sump have a look on it might need to use a bit of emery paper though

as far as i am aware it will have a complete engine no the only ones that didnt would be if it had a replacement short motor

in which case it would have a rivetted on tag with a part number on

if they were supplying just the engine to any one else it will still have a code on it so we could work out its specs

small-logo.png

Jeff,

thank you for that info on where the serial number might be.

That sounds like it would be covered by the injection pump as it is on the left side of the engine or near there.

We wont be pulling the engine out again in a hurry so I will just have to file that gem of info. The engine in a BV206 is well buried and access is limited at best.

The part arrived Saturday at the dealership which is 1 1/2 hours drive away.

Thanks

R

• 1 year later...

I realise this is a bit old, but I strongly feel that the value of this forum is lost if we don't do our own housekeeping and close out threads.

So the vacuum pot thingy arrived from the dealership, was not the right part despite the CDN Forces cross over part number right off their system to the MB part number, total loss.

Anyhow, last season we started the machine up and low and behold the high idle function now works and continued to work all last winter season. I have no explanation, other than a "Gremlin" might be involved.

What can I say, problem has gone away so we returned the part and carried on.

End of that issue for now until next time . . . .

Thank you to all who tried to help me on this problem.

R