Dodge WC9 Ambulance

mvdepot

Well we have started the long restoration for our new WC9 Ambulance !!,we took delivery of here in August this year i think she had a nice trip from California to North Yorkshire !.

There had been some rather impressive mods on this one V8 motor fitted ! uprated rear springs with air assisted dampers and best off all a two speed overdrive fitted inbetween the normal tranny and the back axle ! she must have gained a few mph !! and all on standard brakes EEeeekk .We are hoping to get her somwhere near completion in a year or so !!! (hoping) if anyone out there has any bits and pieces i might want drop me a line im hoping to put more pics on each month !!,.

hta.jpg

wc95.jpg

wc94.jpg

wc93.jpg

wc91.jpg

We have started to strip the paint off and the original paint is still there!! found the medical insignia ,the cross on the side and the blue hood numbers so far ! apart from that all i know is that it was owned by a film company in california for a lot of years hence the mods .She is out of the first batch of 1/2 ton ambulances 211 out of 275 according to the dodge bible DOD march 1941 !.Nick it would be great if we could get down to measure up at sompoint !! and would make life alot easier! cheers

Adam

! apart from that all i know is that it was owned by a film company in california for a lot of years hence the mods .

Adam

I wonder then if your ambulance could possibly be the same WC9 used in the opening titles of TV series "MASH"

will try and find a name and contact number for the present owner of the one in Andover

Edited by Nick Johns

• 1 year later...

hello

i have a wc 27 ambulance,i bought it in USA last year and she is now in uk in a friend home waiting i collect it

wc 9 and wc 27 are near the same.

mine is near than complete,missing some internal parts but mostly complete.

You have all internal parts ?

best wishes

willy

Yes the 9 and the 27 are very similar ,think mine was made on the first production run in early 41 !,most of the internals were missing and the motor and gearbox had been removed but i have aquired most of the parts now ,need some front seats etc .These type of ambulances were used quite a lot in Mash which is funny you would think that there would be more 3/4 tons avaiable at that time !,mine was owned and used by a film company for many years thats why it had been alterd so much on the body ,im hoping to have a good year on it and maybe take to France next year for the 70th !.

• 1 year later...