A Story for Today: Remembrance Sunday 2011

I thought some might be interested in this local WWI memorial, and how it has been refurbished and rededicated today.

The memorial at St.Mark's Church, Alma Road, Reigate was constructed of a local stone, it commemorates 99 local people who were killed between 18th Sept 1914 and 7th Nov 1919.

Over the years the local stone was eroded by weather to such an extent that the names were slowly disappearing and would soon be lost from the memorial....

I suspect the story so far can be repeated across the country.

But the parishioners of St. Mark's were not prepared to let the memory fade.

Over a period of four years, fund raising and donations from local businesses and individuals secured sufficient funds to refurbish the memorial and re-etch all the names.

Over the summer this work was completed by a very skilled stone mason, and today the memorial was rededicated in brilliant autumn sunshine.

At a time when we read about memorials falling into disrepair and the despicable theft of bronze plaques, I felt this story and photos might encourage and inspire others.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

IMG_1574 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1557 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1558 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1559 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1560 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1564 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1569 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1573 (Medium).JPG