Bomber Jacket

kpu121265

This should really be in the 'i am stupid' section,but on the basis that the really stupid questions are the ones which you never ask...

Jack has come in to the posession of a post war USAF type (British made) sheep skin jacket. Made by CIRRUS and of type 'USAF'. If it was leather, i'd be putting some leather treatment onto it, as it is starting to crack in somre areas. Is there anything special required for the treament of sheepskin leather, or can i just use 'ordinary'leather treatment - saddle soap, neats foot oil or something similar?

Regards

Ken

Edited by kpu121265

• 2 weeks later...

Ken ...After the war my Dad purchased a sheepskin Jacket at the Gates to a RAF Base and used it as his Motorbike bike Jacket .......It was used by a variety of his brothers and was then passed to my brother who unfortunately fell off his bike and tore the arm ...By the time it was my turn the Jacket was in a poor condition and went to Long term storage in the loft ...

We recovered it a few weeks ago but found it was pretty cardboard like and the sheepskin surface was pretty poor ....Anyway I experimented ansd its worked ...I would have started with Saddle soap to put some moisture back in the sheepskin but was concerned applying this as a rub would not work ...So I got a good quality dubbing and tested it on the sheepskin ...Worked well rubbing it into a test area and it re surfaced the sheepskin .....So I upscaled the plan and stuck a healthy blob of dubbing in the Microwave and turned it into a liquis ...I got a craft paintbrush and painted it onto the sheepskin ...Its a bit alarming as it dries a white waxy appearance but be brave ,,

After I had painted the Jacket i basically sat and polished in the dubbing ...The Surface of the sheepskin looked great ..but it was still very cardboard like ..I stuck it in a suit cover and hung it in the garage for a month ...

The sheepskin has clearly absorbed the dubbing and is now flexible and wearable ..

My old man had always assumed it was a RAF Jacket but the lables show its a USAF jacket ....

Jenkinov

Thanks Chris.

Best do that while Cath is out, ans she automatically suspect the worst if i a. enter the kitchen, and b. willingly put something in to the microwave. She'll see that as a declaration of independance, and then i really am in the sh1t.

Ken