Bedford mj brake problem

bedford trucker

HELLO

i need some advice with my bedford mj, failed MOT last week on 37% brake inbalance on rear axle. test values were 1150kg on n/s and 2300kg on o/s. i striped down the n/s and found 1 seized piston in the cylinder so replaced with new. took it today to a local hgv garage for a brake test and found similar results. i adjusted each side while i was there, still no improvement. the o/s was striped down about 4 months ago and cylinder was replaced so i assume that side is ok. feel rather lost now for ideas.

brake test results from about 6 months ago read approx 1250kg equally on both rear wheels so could the o/s be to powerfull?

thanks paul

My advice, from bitter experience is that assumption is the mother of all **** ups. Strip the whole lot down, then put it back together exactly like the manual says it should be.

Had a very badly running vehicle in the workshop the other week. "It can't be the carb" said the owner "it is brand new". Very shiney it was too. It turned out (because I check everything) that the float was upside down in the float chamber.

So assume nothing!

Bear in mind, line of least resistance. You have a brand new cylinder on one side, so the pressure will take the easy way out on the old cylinder. Brakes are like dominos, one goes then the next, then the.... Replace both cylinders., at least. Also how did you bleed it? Most vehicles of that size have equiliser valves bettween front and back brakes, and absoulete mare's nest to bleed. A good pressure bleeder, I personally have no time for the vacum bleeds, will make life a lot easier. They run from about £15.

Bear in mind, line of least resistance. You have a brand new cylinder on one side, so the pressure will take the easy way out on the old cylinder. Brakes are like dominos, one goes then the next, then the.... Replace both cylinders., at least. Also how did you bleed it? Most vehicles of that size have equiliser valves bettween front and back brakes, and absoulete mare's nest to bleed. A good pressure bleeder, I personally have no time for the vacum bleeds, will make life a lot easier. They run from about £15. Check any flexi hoses aren't balloning

And I have no idea why the forum has posted the answer twice! Oh ! Quick thought, the brake systems and compressors have a habit of filling with a waxy gunge. Paul had similar problems when he first got his MJ, we had to strip the thing in Belgium. Muck out no more problems.

Edited by Tony B

Most vehicles of that size have equiliser valves bettween front and back brakes, and absoulete mare's nest to bleed.

Not on a MJ, they have a tandem master cylinder, two separate circuits, front and rear.

Any gunge in the air system should removed from the wet tank at the front by the automatic drain valve, unless it is bunged up.

my mj had in balance couple weeks ago on the mot off side binding replaced both w clinders sanded the shoes both sides to ruff them up and then gave it a good run my problern with the brakes is the lack of use the offer mj had front brakes sticking same problern lack of use strip down same way ok now i bet if left again same problern will happern

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul.

Did you get this sorted yet? I've just today managed to get a (class 4) MOT for my MJ after three test failures for front brake imbalance. In the end I had to replace the hydraulic flexi hoses (although I know there's only one on the back and that won't be causing your problem), both slave cylinders, new linings and a complete strip down and re-grease of pivot points, link-arms etc.

For the class 4, brake imbalance only seems to be a fail point on the front (steered) axle. I guess you're getting an HGV MOT?

Chris

hi chris

yea managed to sort mine out, stipped both rear brakes down and cleaned/checked everything, and then set up the brakes as per the book of wisdom. i think when i adjusted the shoes up when i changed the slave cyl a few months ago i hadnt adjusted them correctly and that was were my fault was (teach me not to read a manual first)

thanks paul

• 1 month later...

I never leave my mj sitting over the winter months without being moved hence ive never had a problem with the brakes,although like any mj youv'e got to feather the brake pedal for the first few miles otherwise it bucks you out the seat and you end up making love to the windscreen :laugh: