432, Hull different or not ?

RecyMech

Evening all, I have a question for the 432 lads if anyone can help please. OK, its a question for a 1/24th 432 model project, but the question is not about the model itself. Bear with me & I'll explain.....

We`re lining up to do a 432 Mk2/1 as a kit in 2012 & I'd ideally like to be able to offer various options.

a) I'm aware of the main differences between a Mk1, Mk2 & MK2/1 visually.....but.....on the real deal, if the exhaust system was stripped away from the hull left side on a Mk2 would you be looking at the same lozenge shaped aperture that you would find on a Mk1 (the bolt on engine access plate) ?

b) Likewise, on top, regarding the exhaust outlet for the Mk1, what or how many panels/grills/plates etc change between Mk1 & 2?

c) Finally, with the Mk2/1 having the 'slimline' NBC pack...are there any external differences on the hull where this is fitted compared to a Mk2 with the big filter pack?

Any advice you can offer fellas, much appreciated.

Best regs.......Howard @ KFS

At risk of being drummed out of the Brownies for directing you elsewhere, the pictures on http://www.fv432.co.uk will answer most of these questions and more. The only thing they might not answer is the exhaust question - on a Mk 2 or Mk 2/1 there is no lozenge-shaped access plate, simply a round hole for the exhaust pipe.

Andy

As the last post said the website should have several pics.

The MK2 has only a much smaller hole for the exhaust, I believe the exhaust has a square flange where it goes through the hull.

The mk 1 has different grills on top, they dont fold up at all, apart from 2 smaller flaps for access to the 2 oil bath air cleaners. I can provide photos of the mk1 grills if you wish.

I think you may get away with the nbc filter box cover, as I think the cover is very simular, but the larger airbox has a deflector plate in front of it. The main differences are inside, and how the fan and filters are arranged.

Ah, cheers peeps, already got the 432 site mentioned above bookmarked & have been in for a study thereof !

So, no big Mk1 style engine access hole retained behind the Mk2 silencer, & different top grills to a Mk1.

All good info, many thanks. Just trying to see if with a different pack I could offer both Mk1 & 2 version without have a whole new hull. Brain ticking, plan formulating.

Thanks both.

Howard.

I don't have a photo of the Mk. 2 exhaust hole to hand, but as I've been cleaning out my Abbot's engine bay this weekend here's a picture of the Abbot arrangement which is broadly similar from what I can remember. I'm standing where the pack should be, looking at the left hand hull of the vehicle.

Andy

IMG_2938aw.jpg