WW2 Airfields

Jack

As you can see there are a lot of us here who are interested in WW2 airfields. This is something that also appeals to me and we do our best to visit them where we can. As you know, nines times out of ten it is just usually the control towers that are left. The last one we went to was the control tower at Ibsley in the New Forest.

If any of you like to get the lost in the history of these places then you will find no better site than the link below;

http://worldwar2airfields.fotopic.net/

The owner is Shaun Churchill, he is based just minutes from my office :shock: and to me, he is playing a very important role in recording all of these ghost airfields.

I hope his work inspires you to trace some of his footsteps.

Have fun.

Jack.

Great link Jack! I have seen this site before but must admit I havn't been on it for months.As you say the guy is doing a great job.I was at East Kirkby in Lincolnshire last weekend,if ever anyone is up that way the museum is worth a visit,especially if it's a run up day for the Lanc,they now have all four Merlins running!! they do have some vehicles the best in my opinion is the Ford crewbus which is a real rarity.

There are so many historic airfields out there but they are under threat,I know of many important buildings which have been lost in recient years.I wish more was done to protect such sites as they are the castles of the 20th centuary and as such need to be preserved.unfortunatly the costs involved are pretty huge.

Matt.

Thorpe Abbotts, home to the "Blo*dy Hundredth" Bomb Group has an excellent museum in the tower and associated buildings. Much of the runways were removed in the 1980's, but several large sections of perimeter track remain.

There's a shop in the main building, and numerous displays in the tower, small nissen hut and Night Flying Equipment Store. They have a jeep on display and also have a Command Car.

100th Bomb Group Website

Here's a few pictures of the museum.

ta7.jpg

gundisplay.jpg

tower.jpg

Does anyone have any 'operational' pictures of what control towers looked like on inside as I always walk into these places trying to imagine what room was used for what, but never really knowing for sure!

• 1 month later...

Hi up until July this year, i used to work on little staughton airfeild on the cambridgshire bedfordshire boarders, and its non opperational now but is said to be the most complete ww2 airfeild left in existance yet there is no preservation group, the control tower is still there including the air raid siren and becons, i have a few relics from it such as complete runway taxi lights, which there are still many left, i found a creat of WW2 maintinance tools in a wooded area, i can post more info if any ones intrested along with some pics of the control tower.

There is an old airfield about 1 and a half hours away from me. It is now privatly owned and is being preserved. The airfield is a pilot training base to learn to fly, then from there they would learn to fly fighters, bombers, cargos, etc. The base is Eagle Field located in Dos Palos, California. http://www.eaglefield.net/

They hold a dinner dance every year to help fix up the field. There are about 1 to 3 B25s each year about 5 to 10 Stearman trainers.

That is the only base that I know of around here except for the bases still in use.

I actually work on an a WW2 airfield, some of our buildings are built around the original hangars, so are buildings belonging to other companies on the site. Apart from the industrial estate there is also a commercial flying club and a helicopter training school, all based in original WW2 buildings. There are probably 5 or 6 of the hangars left, all in use. On top of this a fair amount of other buildings remain around the field as well as some that encroach on the village nearby, in particular the old water tower which is now a private house. Sadly the control tower has gone, demolished by the company that owned the site before ours, it had been used as their social club. To make it worse I believe it was either the only one of it's kind or it was 1 of 2, I'm not certain but I know it was a bit special. The airfield by the way is Shobdon in Herefordshire, it was mainly a glider training base during the war. On a personal note my Mum worked in the canteen during it's construction and her brother worked on the construction.

Jack

While doing a search on Upottery airfield, I came across

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk

Only had a brief look-see, but looks interesting, from the airfields locations sides of things.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

Some great pictures of Tarrant Rushton, I am going to go back there soon as I worked the woodlands there not so many years ago and it is still full of history and the woodland rides are all concrete as this is where all the fuel was stored and the bunkers etc etc are still there. In the middle of the wood is what I would decribe as being a railway station platform where they would load and unload the trucks.

there was a small airfield not far from wotton under edge which is now part of a farm.it was called Windrush airfield and was used as a training base during the war. The control tower still exists today & there is a plaque on the tower in rememberence of trainee pilot Sgt Bruce Hancock (26) who rammed an attacking enemy plane with his own yellow painted traning Avro Anson on 18th August 1940. He sacrificed his own life & was buried in the local church with full honours .

ta

berni

Berni, After the Battle, latest issue (no 130), mentions this brave guy .

As you have said, Sgt Bruce Hancock, on a solo training flight in an Anson, rammed a Heinkel bomber which was attacking Windrush areodrome,causing it to crash,killing the entire crew, and himself.

A plaque, in Windrush Church, states;

To The Memory Of SGT Pilot Bruce Hancock RAFVR Who Sacrificed His Life

By Ramming And Destroying An Enemy Heinkel Bomber While Flying An

Unarmed Training Aircraft From Windrush Landing Ground During The

Battle Of Britain. 18 August 1940.

A Very Brave Man, Simply Remembered.

One Of The Few.

(although not remembered, for such)

Andy