Impressed - definition

Dusty

Question

Having just obtained a copy of the Central Census of "B" Vehicle W.D. Numbers I wondered what the notation "Impressed" actually refers to?

Did it cover those civilian vehicles which passed to the military or to vehicles previously operated by the RASC?

Are there lists available showing details of such vehicles and if so could you point me in the right direction please so I can obtain them?

1 answer to this question

Having just obtained a copy of the Central Census of "B" Vehicle W.D. Numbers I wondered what the notation "Impressed" actually refers to?Did it cover those civilian vehicles which passed to the military or to vehicles previously operated by the RASC?Are there lists available showing details of such vehicles and if so could you point me in the right direction please so I can obtain them?
Pretty sure "impressed" will refer to civilian vehicles taken on in the event of war emergency. RASC vehicles in theory would already be on the books as it were as direct contract vehicles. Some annotated as impressed may have been sourced from the subsidy scheme. This is where a civi vehicle deemed suitable for military conversion or use could be purchased by a company in conjunction to having a loan given them by the government. This loan on the basis of should hostilities break out the vehicle would be called in for military use.The government have a symilar system in relation to transport aircraft and shipping, a small sum is paid to the owners annually on the principle they will have first call on them during an emergency. I presume this is how the QE2 and canberra ended up having a trip south to the falklands. Some contractual arrangement for compensation if the vessels or aircraft are lost would also be in the total package i should imagine.Regards Tim