PSP ground matting

RecyMech

Morning gents,

Just a question (well two) about the PSP airfield ground matting....the stuff often seen carried on Ferrets in two short lengths in place of 'proper' sand channels.

Can anyone advise if this stuff was only produced in standard 10 foot lengths, & would therefore be cut to fit a Ferret, or anything else that carried it as sand channel. Or was it also made in say 5 foot lengths (which would fit a Ferret)

Secondly, am I right in thinking when laid & coupled together as a mat it would be laid with the strips 'offset' like bricks in a wall for example ?

Cheers for any help & advice in advance.

Howard @ KFS

Howard,

You ask some good questions.

Over on Maple Leaf Up there has been a thread running on the subject. Briefly I will paraphrase what has been said. There were many makers and types from many eras. Steel and Aluminium were made, some postwar for the Viet Nam conflict.

The major type seems to be 10 feet in length with connections only on the side.

Recently I purchased 8 lengths that are a different style, they have the conventional sides but also connections at the ends. They link together side by side without being staggered. Once a block of 10ft width has been made the next "block" is started at 90 degrees to it clipping onto the ends that have slots to receive it.

The end result is a parquet floor effect with blocks alternating as they progress.

Locally a Ferret owner used this style, doing what he believed would have been done by units, which is to cut the lengths in half and make some washers that weld to the openings to allow them to mount securely to the original stowage mounts.

R

Thanks for that Robin, the last paragraph is really what I was getting at, that is to say "was cutting them in half the norm or was(is) there a 5 foot version".:undecided:

The ones I've seen have no end 'link up', just on the sides. So if laid staggered (brick wall as opposed to parquet) then there would be a 5 foot gap at the end of every run.

Anyone else got any info please ? :D

Cheers.........Howard @ KFS