FERRET: Problems Help!

signalcorps

After changing the oil seal of fluid flywheel the Ferret has no strength to roll on flat road is no more than 20mph. It gives the feeling as if the clutch slip!

Definitely not strong. Any ideas?

thanks for your help

Vicente.

Madrid

Hi Vicente,

What type of oil did you fill the flywheel with after changing the seal?

if the oil is the correct type the fluid flywheel could be leaking pressure check it laurence

After changing the oil seal of fluid flywheel the Ferret has no strength to roll on flat road is no more than 20mph. It gives the feeling as if the clutch slip!

Definitely not strong. Any ideas?

thanks for your help

Vicente.

Madrid

I'm thinking he still has a leak there somewhere... I replaced the centre seals, and driving members (finned-cover part facing the gearbox), on my saracen, but I've yet to refill it with oil and put the engine back into my engine bay, every couple of days, when I'm passing the yard I check and release the pressure that's built up by itself, due to atmospheric pressure, (well I'm guessing that's what causes it to pressurise itself). I modified a spare oil-level bung with a bolt-in tyre valve, so I could check for leaks with compressed air and soapy water....I expect it'll all have to come apart again, -still at least he knows how it comes apart....

Thank you all for your help, I have ISO VG 32, which is what I have found so far and has improved a lot, you have to dig to buy ISO VG 10 and it is not easy. Other questions that oil takes the gearbox? The fact that the 5 bands inside the gearbox can be worn Does it affect the speed?

Thank you all for your help, I have ISO VG 32, which is what I have found so far and has improved a lot, you have to dig to buy ISO VG 10 and it is not easy. Other questions that oil takes the gearbox? The fact that the 5 bands inside the gearbox can be worn Does it affect the speed?

Hello Vincente

Have a look at Andys excellent ferret website:

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/useful_info.htm

Scroll down to the end of the above page and you will find a chart with modern oil equivalents. The gearbox and engine take a SAE 30 engine oil. Try and find an oil specifically designed for classic vehicles, because additives in modern oils can cause problems with the ferret. The transfer box takes EP90.

You will have a problem if the brake bands in the gearbox are worn, but it could be that the auto adjusters have siezed or they are too much out of adjustment to auto adjust. You do need to vigorously press the pedal 6 times in each gear before the ferret is driven. This needs to be done every time you use the ferret in order to keep the brake bands adjusted.