One for those who know about Timber tractors

Zero-Five-Two

Question

Having just acquired a timber rig for my Militant, I need advice on using it. To lift the jib out for use one simply uses the winch to pull the jib/derrick over, I think?

Not only that, I cannot see how to stow it after use. Is it a case of pushing it over centre and letting it drop? Cant be right, can it?? Given the weight of it, it wont half go down with a bang, or have I got the wrong idea.

Help me out please, guys, I don't want to wreck the thing before I've had chance to show it off.

8 answers to this question

On my matador with original winch mid mounted, to unfold I attach a long stout piece of wire rope to the end of the jib, the other end I then attach to a fixed object behind the truck (tree, lorry etc). To allow an element of control I then run the winch rope straight off the drum up to the end of the jib (which at this point is resting over the cab roof). Then slowly drive forward (make sure winch handbrake is off and in neutral) and jib raises itself. Be ready with the winch handbrake so that once the jib goes over centre you can allow it to drop by gravity backwards until the staywires take the strain.

To fold back its pretty much a reversal, having attached the length of wire rope from top of jib to a fixed object, and run the winch cable up to the top of the jib, in a straight line from the winch, winch in and allow the jib to raise itself (lorry will roll backwards at same time so keep handbrake off) as jib goes over centre, stop winching and just slowly keep reversing until jib has lowered onto the frame behind the cab.

I wouldnt recommend just letting it drop down in either direction when there are easy ways to do it under control. Some cranes were a bit more fancy with pulley systems, winding mechanisms and even hydraulic rams.

NOTE, DO NOT FORGET TO PUT WINCH IN NEUTRAL AND PREFERABLY DETACH WINCH FROM JIB BEFORE DRIVING OFF!!

Failure to do this will see your shiny new cab and possibly you flattened beyond all recognition. It has been done before on several occasions that I have heard of and seen the pictures!!

matador jib 1.jpg

matador jib 2.jpg

No probs, are you the chap I met not long ago stripping bits off an old militant, I was there getting some wheels/tyres.

Regards

Ed

Sounds about right. Would appear it is quite a small world then. The geezer selling it all told me it was a local bloke buying the wheels. I hadn't seen anyone on here with a Matador from that area, and anyhow you're listed as Derbyshire, I never gave it another thought.

Not only that I was paying pennies for stuff that should have cost me hundreds, I didn't want to get involved in someone elses deal, case the price of my bits changed!

Any way nice to have met you then :-D:-D

I used to be up in Derbyshire but back down in Hampshire these days! When I went back to pick up the wheels the militant was looking pretty sorry for itself. What I couldnt quite fathom was why they were stripping the engine into component pieces, seemed like an odd thing to do but luckily you managed to salvage quite a few bits. Wheels have done me a good turn, should keep the matador running for a bit longer now!