What is wrong in this picture?

paul connor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this as a vehicle should look?

what is this ment to be?

Well it ain't a FV1612! It is a Mk 2 Pig , it should not have a jerrycan holder nor should it have the canvas on the roof from a Mk1 Pig.

As far as its legitimate history goes it is extremely rare, in fact it is unique. Any takers?

It looks as though half the back is missing :?

I know what you mean, its just that putting that silly Mk 1 canvas on the back does make it look odd as it is a Mk2. I have seen this vehicle a couple of times before & took pics because, despite the owner additions, has a unique underlying history. But to see it like this, umh shall we say embarrassing - worse is to come. As this was exported a few years ago I feel I can speak fairly freely about it now. (In fairness to the last UK owner, he was not responsible for all the nonsense fitted to it & was sold it in good faith)

The canvas on Mk 1 provided an insulating layer of air over the armour, being supported on a rail around the roof edge. Obviously this was for use it hot climates. N.Ireland is not not generally in a tropical climate. But besides serving no purpose it would be at risk to catching fire in riots, so often you see owners put a camo net on their Mk2 which again is a fire risk & a camo net serves no purpose driving around the streets of Belfast & Londonderry!

I'll post a side view in a moment, so you can see a total now of 4 extractor fans, why so many

Was it fitted out as the Command vehicle for the Green Archer? the extra fans being for cooling the equipment

Well no, Mk 2 was solely for IS duties in NI. But you are right there is equipment in there that needs cooling (& ventilating).

I'm probably even blinder than Mark - but to me it looks like the dodgy one is sitting too high on it's suspension????

Yes well spotted Pike, I mean Neil. Adjustment of the torsion bars can vary the height by 4in. So in its original role it would have been heavier.

Hi All

Forgot i'd registered for this forum ages ago, just never posted, lurked instead.

Any chance that it was for the wheelbarrow, i know that the one pic i can lay my hand on of the carrier has at least the 2 front fans. unfortunately all my pics and books are packed away in storage while i move.

( don't explain the missing bar tho :?)

Hi All

Forgot I'd registered for this forum ages ago, just never posted, lurked instead.

Any chance that it was for the wheelbarrow, i know that the one pic i can lay my hand on of the carrier has at least the 2 front fans. unfortunately all my pics and books are packed away in storage while i move.

( don't explain the missing bar tho :?)

Hello Gareth. Have a look at the missing bit of the bar, you can see that if it was there it would go right across the headlight. Look at the configuration of a normal ram the bars are uniformly spaced, except in front of the headlights. But on the mystery vehicle the larger gap is at the bottom. The answer is this never had a barricade ram, but someone felt it should have one. So a copy was made out of aluminium tubing.

Unfortunately it was fitted to the pig upside down! So the gap for the headlights was at the bottom. As the headlights were now partially obstructed by the second from the top tube. A bit of it was cut off at each end. I am sorry I can't find the frontal view, I am not witholding it to make anymore difficult.

Anyway that establishes that the pig despite being a Mk2 was not fitted with a ram. AFAIK there were only two groups of Mk2 pigs that had no ram. Maybe the rear view helps. Think about the step:

Oddpig01.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!