Rare British Nylon Trials Webbing

wdbikemad

During the very early 1970s the British Army introduced a set of web equipment in green nylon. This set is often termed the "1972 pattern" although items I have in the collection show that the set was manufactured between 1971 and 1973.....

There are a few odd photos showing the set in use in field trials and a couple of articles in Soldier magazine of the period stating that the set was intended for universal issue by 1975-76....though this clearly never occurred.....

The basic 72 pattern set comprises a pair of ammo & utility pouches with a built-in waist belt, a yoke very similar (but not identical) to the 58 pattern, plus a rear haversack.......I've recently been able to build up 3 complete sets of this rare equipment, so thought I'd share my collecting experience....

The pouches can still be found (Sabre Sales and SOF Military have some, plus Silverman's) although the left side appears far easier to find than the right !). SOF have left pouches, plus MINT yokes (@ £10) whilst Silverman's have pouches and the odd rear-pack (@ £20)......Sabre have the pouches only, mainly the left......This set cannot be put together properly if you are missing any of the component parts because everything attaches to everything else !!! Worth getting a set together now before it all disappears completely.......all items are dated, NSN marked and all from the trial period from the early 1970s......

If you want to find the rare 1970's NYLON 58 webbing, then try Silverman's...they have belts, kidney pouches, left & right ammo pouches and yokes at VERY reasonable prices.....most of the kit is used but again, from the trial of the late 1970s, dated (1977) and NSN marked......they have no poncho rolls or waterbottle carriers though, and the large pack was apparently not produced in nylon..........acquire whilst you can...!

The parade or barrack dress nylon belt was actually supplied and cut from a roll to size by the QM ! The buckles were added from stock.........the nylon version of the 58 pattern belt is a dead copy of the webbing variety but in a woven nylon fabric and quite soft and flexible, unlike the rigid barrack dress belt......