Rifle range....

Jack

"Jack, what are you doing today?" said the voice on the other end of the phone, "nothing" I replied.

"I am going to look at another Land Rover for sale in Wiltshire do you and Jess fancy coming for a ride?" I looked at my options which were

• Listen to even more Jimmy Hendrix as my youngest daughhter is more than in to him
  • Look around the house at all the 'jobs' that need doing

• Wash the car
  • Take the car to town to get new tires

• GO TO FOR A TRIP WITH JERRY

I did try to explain to Jerry on the way up that I had just spent a week with my hands full doing with the PW thread on here and that I must be mad spending my Saturday going to look at a PW vehicle :roll: :cry:

Jerry was saying on the journey that "just over there" is an old disused WW2 rifle range and the way back that we should stop in there and go and have a look to see if we can find any old bullets, Jesse's eyes were like this :schocked: :schocked: On the way back we did indeed stop and walk over the range that is all still there, so there was Jerrys, Jesse's and my backside pointing towards the sky digging around looking for bullets and the we heard Jess shout I HAVE FOUND ONE & then LOOK THERES ANOTHER.............see below for a hand full that we found

width=640 height=480http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/richmorris/RangeBullets.jpg[/img]

...........you just never what going to happen on a Saturday. :-D

Jack,

My father used to compete in target shooting with .303" and 7.62mm rifle. As children, my brother and I used to go along from early 1950's onward. We used to go to many army ranges around Sussex and Kent, also to Bisley Camp. A local one was Hythe Ranges, back in the 1900's it was the School of Musketry, the range was all shingle, being next to the sea and you would often spot a live cartridge in amongst the pebbles, so nothing unusual, they having been dropped. One day we found one, a .303" and it was pre-First World War, a bit dented but not corroded.

Richard

Jack,

My father used to compete in target shooting with .303" and 7.62mm rifle. As children, my brother and I used to go along from early 1950's onward. We used to go to many army ranges around Sussex and Kent, also to Bisley Camp. A local one was Hythe Ranges, back in the 1900's it was the School of Musketry, the range was all shingle, being next to the sea and you would often spot a live cartridge in amongst the pebbles, so nothing unusual, they having been dropped. One day we found one, a .303" and it was pre-First World War, a bit dented but not corroded.

Richard

Did a shooting competition with the Army, whilst still with the RCT, back in the mid-Seventies at a range in Kent that was shingle. Might have been Hythe. We were the only team to get a perfect score in the falling plate contest - probably because we were the only ones to realize that firing low on the target meant either a hit on the plate or a hit on the shingle - which would then fly off and hit the plate....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

we were the only ones to realize that firing low on the target meant either a hit on the plate or a hit on the shingle - which would then fly off and hit the plate....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Neil,

Back in the Seventies, we used to do falling plate knockout shoots at Hythe, when I worked for the army workshops, it was an event where the army ran the range and the civvies shot. We very soon found that you did not aim for the centre of the plate. And looking in front of me now, there is a shield for the winning team in 1975 :-)

Richard

Neil,

Back in the Seventies, we used to do falling plate knockout shoots at Hythe, when I worked for the army workshops, it was an event where the army ran the range and the civvies shot. We very soon found that you did not aim for the centre of the plate. And looking in front of me now, there is a shield for the winning team in 1975 :-)

Richard

Ours were Army-only Richard - and at the end of the day we could not believe no one else had cottoned on to the fact of aiming low; we had 5 other teams there with us, 4 of which were from infantry units, think the other was either REME or RE.

Over all IIRC we wound up in third place - but took the falling plate cup. :-) :-)

Happy days!! :-) :-)