coventry big gun

It looks like a naval gun produced by Coventry Ordnance Works Ltd, owned by a group of shipbuilders, Cammell Laird, John Brown and Yarrow. Possible dated around early WW1 and may well have been on its way to Scotstoun to be mounted.

See the link for more photos;

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/foleshillrailway.htm

It looks like a naval gun produced by Coventry Ordnance Works Ltd, owned by a group of shipbuilders, Cammell Laird, John Brown and Yarrow. Possible dated around early WW1 and may well have been on its way to Scotstoun to be mounted.

See the link for more photos;

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/foleshillrailway.htm

Thanks for that Richard, bloody good info and fantastic knowledge!

Good pic Matt..!

Being from Coventry originally this is quite interesting to me. I know a bit of the city's industrial past, especially its links with the cycle, motorcycle and car industries, but naval guns is a new one to me. I'm presuming this pic was taken at the firms Glasgow factory since you wouldnt want to be building a gun like this so far away from the shipyards...

My upbringing in Coventry accounts for my current obsession with CVRT's - I used to go to school just round the corner from Holyhead Road where they were built....meant nothing to me at the time.

Cheers

Timbo

I'm presuming this pic was taken at the firms Glasgow factory since you wouldnt want to be building a gun like this so far away from the shipyards...

Hi Timbo,

Take a look at the link in my post #2, it shows these guns being transported on railways in and around Coventry, for onward journey to Scotland.

Well you learn something new every day..!

Used to live in foleshill (pronounced fo'sall) where those pics were taken and had no idea of that bit of history..

I spent 2 years living in Longford!

Intresting site, never would have thought it