Per-Heaters ?

Vulture

My brother fitted a a Kenlowe pre-heater to his Triumph GT6 to assist with cold-starting in the winter / reduce engine wear etc etc. (it warms up the coolant water).

Just wondering if anyone had fitted anything similar to a Jimmy, and what people thought about the idea in general ?

Kind regards to all

Vulture

1. They were never called jimmies. If you have any proof, please post.. I have found none.

2. There were several pre-heaters, mostly were used in arctic conditions (Think Alaska). They were mostly gasoline fed and caught fire frequently. A google search will prove most fruitful for pictures and information. There grill covers that were a pretty common.

I *think* the tankograd CCKW book shows some arctic kit. The TM9-801 has some information regarding 'Operation under unusual conditions' page 69 para 29 and goes on for 3 or 4 pages. It mentions some specific arctic mods like a battery heater,

back when I was a kid my Dad had an old (mid fifties) Austin car.........in the winter he had a simple version of a

'pre-heater'.....he simply put a paraffin lamp on the ground under the engine.(plenty of clearance with one of those old cars the same as there would be under a truck) ..the little bit of heat that wafted up and around the engine all night worked a treat...

These were a common accessory in the sixties. When I worked at Aston Martin they were an optional extra. Green goddess were fitted with an imersion heater in the bottom hose but most were disconnected later. A lot of civvi fire engines were fitted with them, good on the old petrol engines instant starting no need to warm up, they had a quick release plug on the rear so you just drove away and it unplugged.