Going to America!

Joris

From december 23rd till january 9th I'll be in the states visiting Atlanta, Washington, Philadelphia and New York. Since I've never been there and tourist guides only tell you so much I was hoping you guys / gals could tell me what to see and what not to see.

In New York the aircraft carrier is closed till fall 2008 :(

oh b*gger, i missed out on the Liberty ship last time i was in New York but was planning on going to visit when i go back in October next year, OH FUEY. that is so pants.

any way New York (manhatten island is only 2 miles by 13 miles but there is so much to see & do. firstly it will be freezing, secondly take advantage of the street corner coffee sellers ( good value).

Grand central station is awesome if a little difficult to find, it is under a sky scraper.

the open top buses are the easiest way to have a look round & they have a guide on each one who explains what things are & where, there is a night time xmas lights one ( blinking baltic so wrap up warm)a down town one - the financial district,ground zero,little italy,china town etc.. then the Brooklyn one which is round brooklyn, then the uptown one which is round central park, harlem etc. this one takes you past a huge museum, which looked real impressive

times square is something or nothing, but there is a restaurant called Bubba Gump Shrimp close to there. they play forest gump all day long and as the name says they serve shrimp.

visit the empire state building in the evening as hardly any queues, during the day you can wait for up to 3-4 hours but in evening its about 10 mins.

just over from maceys is a sweet little square with an ice rink.

there is so so much it is worth grabbing a hand full of brochures & sitting down with a tea/coffee to plan what you want to do.

helicopter rides are fab & go from 7-30 mins long.

everyone i have spoken to about new york have got their favorite places, you just have to find yours

i've never been to the others so can't comment, but i love New York

i am sure i will think of loads more

Berni

You will love it mate, it is a great to be. You are in luck at the moment as the Dollar is very weak, $1.90 this morning :schocked:

Good coffee, too much food but all great fun - you will more than likely have some ancestors out there..........

In New Amsterdam,

As Berni says Grand Central is a must, i think thats where some of the scenes from " The Untouchables " was filmed', its more like a Cathedral than a station, and you don't see any trains :-o and there is a great restaurant down stairs

Ground Zero, just because . . .

Ellis Island, where all the immigrants used to land to get into the good ol' US of A

The Old Town bar at 45E 18 st, just how a yank bar should be

Pier 17/South Street Seaport for food and shopping

There's a flea market on the weekend on 6th Ave at about 30th st if I remember rightly, where there might be some goodies

Plenty, and I MEAN PLENTY, of shopping in Noho,Soho, Tribeca,etc,etc

Do the tourist bus by all means but the Metro is fairly easy to use and a lot quicker

I'm off out there at the end of the month for a week for a bit of shopping, and seeing as my girlfriend has dragged me around every shoe shop and fashion outlet in NY three times before its my turn to choose where we shop :evil: :evil:

• 4 weeks later...