Irish Armoured Railcars

pc1959

I found this picture in one of my father's books of photographs from the Cork Examiner newspaper.

The caption reads:

"Armoured Railcars in Cork - In 1922-23 when the Anti Treaty forces inflicted much damage to Irelands Railways, the new Free State Army formed a special Railway Repair and Defence Corps. Here are some of its members with two of their armored railcars at Cork station"

There were obviously at least two different types and they look to me like lorries of the period fitted with armour and railway wheels, are they Crossleys as used by the British in Ireland and perhaps left behind or captured?

Anybody know anything more about them?

page029.jpg

The car on the left (AL 23) fitted with rail wheels is a standerd Irish National army "Armoured Lancia 1922 model" which were better known as "Hooded Terrors" (see photo AL 25).

The photo appeared in several newspapers of the time and is dated November 1922 and the location is outside Mallow Co Cork. The car on the right is also a lancia. There were several different variants of the original armoured Lancia (see photo Ballybough Boys) that were converted for rail use, two of which had turrets. The video supplied by Charawacky can be dated pre 3/12/1922

It is accepted that there were only seven armoured rail cars converted for rail use, although one book by a Bernard Share (In time of civil war "The conflict of the Irish railways 1922-23") suggest there were Twelve. I have photos of six including a copy of the original Mallow photo.

To add futher mystery to the armoured rail cars, a newspaper article of the time suggest that both Crossley & Lancia were used but this is unconfermed.

On studding the original photo it is my opinion that the Lancia on the right is the "Grey Ghost". The Grey Ghost was original painted in a camouflage patern. The Lancia in the photo matches the description and from what I can make out the name on the left of the car appears to read "Grey Ghost"... But I could be wrong-??

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

al25.jpg

1921 model.jpg

The Grey Ghost

On the 15th of October 1922 while patrolling the line between Thurles & Clonmel near fethard an armoured lancia nick named the grey ghost found its way blocked by a pile of stones her retreat also became blocked by the same means and it began taking fire from all sides including fire from two hump back bridges in front and behind. A typically well placed IRA ambush carried out by the 3rd IRA Tipperary brigade and unknown by the cars crew at the time, a landmine had also been placed on the line but failed to detonate. After several hours of fighting the lancia crew surrendered but only after their ammo was spent, the crew were well treated and released by the IRA after been relieved of their guns and heavy over coats and the lancia set on fire.

The lancia was later towed away and damage is said to be miner.

An unconfirmed but popular account suggest that both the attacker and defender of the incident, drank to each other’s health later that evening in a public house in Moyglass Co Tipperary.

Bernard Share (In time of civil war "The conflict of the Irish railways 1922/23)

A letter sent to the army CinC from Colonel Russell dated Friday 29/9/1922 reads

I have pleasure informing you that the first lancia car converted for railway work is a complete success. This afternoon during trials we obtained a forward speed of 45 mph and a rear speed of 20 mph. as previously arranged we are proceeding with the conversion of 11 other cars.