New Dodge and Jimmy

NuttyNick

Hi guys,

As requested I've attached are a couple pics of the WC63 and workshop Jimmy which I've just purchased. I've still got to get them home but that should be completed in a few weeks time. Spent the weekend sorting out space on the farm to store them and then eventually start working on them. 'Er indoors isn't too impressed though!

Cheers

Nick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi Jack,

Yes, the rear body appears original. It still has a number of data and manufacture plates on it. The body had been kitted out as a camper by a previous owner although this has now been ripped out (although the rather sexy vinyl floor is still there!). The engine runs like a dream and appears to have recently been re-built. Everything else needs work. The only problem with it is that its a closed cab - may have to get the angle grinder onto it!!

Nick

Jack,

no, only joking. I just don't like hard cabs. I don't know how easy it is to put an open cab on but anyway, it would be a shame to mess around with an original vehicle. I guess I'll just have to put up with winding the windows down and opening the windscreen in the summer.

Engima - there is nothing quite like driving with the windscreen down, having the wind in your hair and a fly in throat. It is what its all about!

Jack - I do have the chassis number and will post it tomorrow. I have to admit that I haven't checked it against the reference's yet. Once it back at my place I'll start doing the serious research.

Why is everyone so interested in the Jimmy? I prefer the dodge! I kind of got lumbered with the Jimmy (but I can live with it!!) She has all her wartime markings showing through the Norwegian paint! Can't wait to start carefully removing the paint to reveal her history. Ok, there's lots of work to be done but she's a fairly straight vehicle.

Why is everyone so interested in the Jimmy? I prefer the dodge! I kind of got lumbered with the Jimmy (but I can live with it!!)

Come on Nick it is a Jimmy - Dodges are Dodges :-D

Matt will be very interested in its history!

And you have a PM!

Jack,

Screwed up the first pm but think I got another to you. Will eventually learn the workings of the site!

Just to put the record straight, I like the Jimmy.........but not quite as much as the Dodge. A few of my mates have Jimmy's and they are fun. They are a lot better than the post war rubbish!!!!!!.............only joking. I've read the "heated" exchanges elsewhere on this forum! If its green and military its great. We even got a good airing on Midsummer Murders last night (Oh, did I just admit to watching it!)

Hi Nick,

Congrats on those,both look good!. As Jack says I'd be interested to hear what markings you find on the CCKW,and if you want to give me the chassis# I'll send you the contract info etc.

BTW I prefer the closed cabs,but to each their own!

Matt.

Hi Matt,

I think we met about this time last year. I popped up to you to pick up the gearbox and transfer case off your command car (or what was left of it!). Got some useful bits off of them.

Matt & Jack - the chassis number for the Jimmy is CCKW 353 257 076-2. I've been told its 1943.

For info, the dodge chassis number is 82024555 and is supposedly 1943, but from quick reference I think its 1944.

Once I have found some markings/info on them i'll let you know, however, don't hold you breath for them as I've got a few other projects to finish first!

By the way, does anyone know anything about trailer field kitchens? I bought one a while ago. I thinks its WW2 but not sure. It has faint french markings on it and is on Jimmy wheels. I have seen war time photos with similar ones in the background etc. I'll drag it out of the shed and take some photos.

Cheers

Nick

Engima - there is nothing quite like driving with the windscreen down, having the wind in your hair and a fly in throat. It is what its all about!

Jack - I do have the chassis number and will post it tomorrow. I have to admit that I haven't checked it against the reference's yet. Once it back at my place I'll start doing the serious research.

Why is everyone so interested in the Jimmy? I prefer the dodge! I kind of got lumbered with the Jimmy (but I can live with it!!) She has all her wartime markings showing through the Norwegian paint! Can't wait to start carefully removing the paint to reveal her history. Ok, there's lots of work to be done but she's a fairly straight vehicle.

I agree about the wind although I haven't got hair anymore, just to have very looong hair though.

Especially nice to drive in the winter without a top with people looking like we're the ones who are nuts!

Correct me if I am wrong but the Dodge is the model with 6 wheels yes? If so I envy you as I was seriously considering getting one before the Mk4 Ferret came up.

Will be interesting following your progress in restoring both of them.

Best of luck mate

(And yes, before y'all say it a PW owner does like WW2 kit :evil: :evil:)

By the way, does anyone know anything about trailer field kitchens? I bought one a while ago. I thinks its WW2 but not sure. It has faint french markings on it and is on Jimmy wheels. I have seen war time photos with similar ones in the background etc. I'll drag it out of the shed and take some photos.

A friend of mine has one, I'll ask him if he knows more about it.

I don't know how easy it is to put an open cab on but anyway, it would be a shame to mess around with an original vehicle. I guess I'll just have to put up with winding the windows down and opening the windscreen in the summer.

Hi Nick, Great couple of trucks you have there,loads of work but a labour of love will see them lovingly restored. As for changing the cab on a GMC it's very easy once you've removed the wiring, floor pans and wings etc.I have 2 open cabs and you can't beat them in the summer driving along with the rag top down ......King of the road.

Good luck with your projects

regards

Steve

Fv601 - Yes, this one has the six wheels. Myself and a friend completely stripped down and rebuildt my 4x4 WC52 in seven months earlier this year so we have a bit of experience with these vehicles. Incidently, he also has a 6x6 Dodge and has just got a 57mm A/T gun to tow behind it. Once mine is up and running (which may be some time) we'll have them both operating as a unit for the 57mm. ...... and I love PW stuff as well - hoping to have a Chieftan ARV :-P on the farm soon, although it won't be mine. A mate will be storing it there if he gets round to buying one.

Joris - Any information is greatfully recieved. :-) The trailer is fairly complete, just need to get a sand blaster on it. Then maybe I can do outside catering for weddings etc!!!

Steve - I'll probably stick with the hard cab for now as it is part of the vehicle. Hopefully one day I'll get an open cab cargo bodied Jimmy (once I've saved up a few more pennies. :roll:

Thanks for the support guys. :-D