new recruit

Hi all

Im fairly new to this hobby, I own a Land Rover S3, FFR 109 that is currently SORN.

Can anybody help me find out if there is any where that i can get mechanical training so I can get the beast back on the road. It failed its MOT on steering and brakes.

Im situated on the Isle of Wight and attend most of the southern shows, overlord, war & peace etc..

Many thanks

Matt

Matt, welcome. Modern books about cars are not a great help because technologlly has moved on for better or worse. But even if you get old books like Readers Digest/AA/RAC car care books they are not very useful with some aspects of mil vehicles. There was a Haynes(?) book on Land Rovers that had a section by Philip Bashall which had some useful advice about restoration/repair.

But there are two books I would thoroughly recommend, to help give a good grounding before trying to effect repairs:

Driver Training (All Arms) Electrical & Mechanical Principles of Tracked & Wheeled Vehicles 1966 Army Code No.70181

The other is very similar but gives a slightly different angle & is more up to date:

Royal Armoured Corps Training. The Mechanical Fundamentals of Tracked & Wheeled Vehicles 1989 D3108

The first one is more common but either can turn up at shows. It is full of good sound facts with sensible diagrams. It is also useful for checking out things that one ought to know but too embarassed to ask :wink:

hello matt,

a chap called Andy lane has just moved to the IOW, i am not sure of his phone number but he has a few S111 109s for sale & loads of bits. I'm sure if you ask around someone may know where he is, an extra clue that may help is he has a red setter called BOB. a long shot but worth a try

welcome

Berni