Should my '44GPW have script parts?

Nigelr32

Hi all,

As some of you may be aware, I've just begun my first MV restoration with a '44GPW. Obviously, it has a composite body, but I'm wondering if Ford still used scripted parts in 1944?

I have found some part numbers on brackets etc that start "GPW.....", but no f scripts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Nigelr32

'Ford Script' is typically in reference to the Ford logo (in the classic Ford script) and Willys on the tailgate of pre-mid 42 jeeps.

The US Army required all manufacturers logos off military vehicles in mid-1942. Some MVs (CCKWs - which never were called Jimmy's) got away with logo'd parts till early/mid-43.

The 'F-stamp' and the ford 'F' script bolts were used throughout production.

The most often reason given for this being that the Army demanded the vehicles be warrantied... and Henry Ford did not want Willys parts replaced on Ford's dime... so *every* part was 'f-stamped' or had the 'F' script cast/forged on them.

If your frame and tub SNs actually match and are dated to 1944 then no, you should NOT have the 'Ford' script on the tail gate but most parts will be 'F' stamped.

Thanks for the reply deadline.

Obviously someone has taken the f script bolts off mine then??

I wasn't aware that you could have matching tub and chassis numbers on a '44 composite bodied GPW? I'm quite sure that the body isn't original, as it has Willys tool box lids, but the number appears to be about right as a late '44 early '45 tub.

If the engine, frame and body numbers match you have a matching jeep. The SNs were stamped all during production. GIs didn't most likely didn't care about the ford stamped/marked parts... only collectors give them much attention.

Very Early Production GPW's ( early months of 1942) were a Mix of Ford and willys parrt due to the fact that ford had to tool up for production. After Ford had "tooled up" untill late 43 these were regarded as TRUE Ford jeeps and Totaly "F" marked .. (as mentioned the U.S gov forced manufacturers to remove Logos etc).. many parts remained "F" marked during production but by the end of the war many Ford Jeeps had very few "F" bolts but retained many other parts "F" marked .. or of a distinct " Ford" pattern ( rear locker boxes ..Wings rear footrests, Seats, grab handles, Gauges etc ).. so you Jeep will have a AMC Composite ( Non Ford )tub but with many ford marked parts ..