re military british army soft skin vehicle archives

afvnut75

Hi i am now in the process of aquiring in service history cards for my vehicles and so far have manged to secure ones for all my armoured vehicles from the tank museum bovingdon ,

But who do i contact to find out the history of army land rovers and daf/mj trucks as im trying to get hold of the inservice cards for my soft skin vehicles

cheers

You don't say how old your vehicles are. For vehicles entering service after August 1989, records were kept on a computer system known as MERLIN. You'll need to contact the Census Branch at Chilwell.

For earlier vehicles, try the Royal Logistics Corps Museum. Details at post 5 here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18192

Also, get hold of and have a read of the March and April 2011 editions of Classic Military Vehicle magazine - they have a write up on doing research.

Edited by Runflat

You don't say how old your vehicles are. For vehicles entering service after August 1989, records were kept on a computer system known as MERLIN. You'll need to contact the Census Branch at Chilwell.

For earlier vehicles, try the Royal Logistics Corps Museum. Details at post 5 here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18192

Also, get hold of and have a read of the March and April 2011 editions of Classic Military Vehicle magazine - they have a write up on doing research.

Hi thanks for your info the age range of my land rovers and soforth ranges from 1984 to 1994

so i take it chilwell will have all the history cards for these vehicles ?

if so do you have any contact details for chilwell ?

cheers

Hi thanks for your info the age range of my land rovers and soforth ranges from 1984 to 1994

so i take it chilwell will have all the history cards for these vehicles ?

if so do you have any contact details for chilwell ?

My understanding is MERLIN only records information relating to after it was set-up. So it won't have any entry if the vehicle entered service pre-August 1989 and was struck off before then. If the vehicle's service life spanned that date then MERLIN will have recorded changes in unit etc after August 1989; whereas the RLC card will only have the history before then and a final note of when the vehicle was struck off. In other words, you may need to go to more than place if you wish to check the full history on your 1984 vehicle.

Contact details: The Census & Registration Manager, Building 154, Chetwynd Barracks, Chilwell, Nottingham, NG9 5HA.

Edited by Runflat

I have Merlin prints for CVRTs from the early 70s. All in service vehicles seem to have been moved over to the database, but it was not back filled so you need both the paper record card and the database print out to get the full story.